Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF Bomber Command DFC grouping value?

Article about: A very nice sounding group. If you would like to post details of the recipient or via PM, I'll be happy to have a look at what info I may have although I dare say you have most of it already

Default RAF Bomber Command DFC grouping value?

Hi all,

I have just been offered a group of items from a family of a deceased RAF Veteran.

The veteran died in the early eighties and since then his wartime belongings and medals have been kept in plastic bags under th stairs, his family now want to part with everything.

There is a photo album with approx 60 photos of him in various places in training, during opertaional dutis and on leave. A portrait photo in uniform, he was a rear gunner on a Lancaster in 43/44 did 38 missions in all, after firs tour went as a gunnery instructor got promoted to an Officer.

The log book is named and complete in good condition, there is his service dress tunic with dfc ribbon and other ribbons, also dress cap with bullion insignia and forage cap with officer's inignia, also his Type C flight helmet with earphones, has his initials in yellow paint on the front. Also the citation for the dfc and various other photos and documents anyone got any idea at all on the value of this set?

Thanks,

Steve

Default Re: RAF Bomber Command DFC grouping value?

Hi Steve,

Does the DFC medal come included with the citation and ribbon bar? It's important they don't get broken up. The rest of the items alone with the provenance are worth a tidy sum as is.

Cheers, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Steve,

Does the DFC medal come included with the citation and ribbon bar? It's important they don't get broken up. The rest of the items alone with the provenance are worth a tidy sum as is.

Cheers, Ned.

Hi Ned,

Yes everything is there, medals included.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm guessing about $6000 +
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for your replies, Ned I got back to your message, I will post pics soon, I recieved the group today from the son of the deceased veteran, there is so much documentation, log book, photos, pay book, release book, full set of medals including Air crew Europe and DFC in original box, medal boxes with name and address sent from the Air Ministry, also the full set of minitures and the uniform, too much to list here!

Best,

Steve

Canadian auctioneer Jeffrey Hoare Auctions Inc. sold a more or less similar group to Sgt. L. Martin, RAF, on 16 Aug. 2007 for $8,600.

Their British rep is [email protected] (Cardiff).

I can't put my hand on the listing, but I recall that the same auctioneer sold an RCAF officer group for over $20,000 a few years ago. That included uniforms, etc. and was well documented.

But auction is the way to go. As my friends said....DON'T SPLIT THE GROUP. It could cost you.

Steve

Looking forward to seeing the pics

Which airfields did he fly from?

Cheers

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not getting back to everyone individually, I am still going through the documents and the log book. He was a Sgt Gunner usually rear gunner on a Lancaster but sometimes mid-upper gunner, he did a tour then became an instructor, was then commissioned and started another tour, still reading through it...

Airfields he flew out of operationally are: Scampton, Fiskerton, Sutton Bridge, Bruntingthorpe, Fulbek and Manby.

Will come back to this tomorrow with pics hopefully.

Cheers,

Steve

Quote by Steve83 View Post
    Thanks for the replies and sorry for not getting back to everyone individually, I am still going through the documents and the log book. He was a Sgt Gunner usually rear gunner on a Lancaster but sometimes mid-upper gunner, he did a tour then became an instructor, was then commissioned and started another tour, still reading through it...

Airfields he flew out of operationally are: Scampton, Fiskerton, Sutton Bridge, Bruntingthorpe, Fulbek and Manby.

Will come back to this tomorrow with pics hopefully.

Cheers,

Steve
    He was stationed in lincolnshire ! I was brought up around those airfields. If you need any info let me know as I have alot of info on those bases

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the offer, might need a bit of info at some point, I'll drop you a pm!

Cheers,

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast