Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Rex Products WWII Purple Heart Medal, Copper Insert

Article about: These are not seen nearly as often as the plastic insert WWII examples. Instead of the standard plastic of later years in the war (enamel early on), Rex used a piece of copper for the heart

Arrow Rex Products WWII Purple Heart Medal, Copper Insert

These are not seen nearly as often as the plastic insert WWII examples. Instead of the standard plastic of later years in the war (enamel early on), Rex used a piece of copper for the heart insert that was painted purple.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rex Products WWII Purple Heart Medal, Copper Insert  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Rex Products WWII Purple Heart Medal, Copper Insert

Obverse shot...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rex Products WWII Purple Heart Medal, Copper Insert  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Note the small chip on the copper insert, exposing the underlying material.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Rim number

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve, are WWII Purple Hearts Rare? I have wanted one for a while and recently passed on one at an auction because I'm financially in a tight spot at the moment.
    I'm kind of kicking myself right now because I think it went cheap. It was in what I think was the original box, it was unnamed and the award its self in very good condition.
    It sold for less than $50.00. I cant say if it had a plastic insert or not.
    Thanks
    Kirby

Quote by Element7 View Post
    Steve, are WWII Purple Hearts Rare? I have wanted one for a while and recently passed on one at an auction because I'm financially in a tight spot at the moment.
    I'm kind of kicking myself right now because I think it went cheap. It was in what I think was the original box, it was unnamed and the award its self in very good condition.
    It sold for less than $50.00. I cant say if it had a plastic insert or not.
    Thanks
    Kirby
    Kirby,

There were approximately 600,000 killed/wounded US personnel in WWII, so the medal itself is not rare. PH's from WWII can be found with copper inserts, as above, enamel and also plastic used for inserts. The Heart that you missed went for a very good price indeed. I am sure that you will find another quite easily.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Thanks very much for the help Steve! I really do appreciate the time and attention you and others offer on this forum.
    Thanks again!

Kirby

Quote by Element7 View Post
    Thanks very much for the help Steve! I really do appreciate the time and attention you and others offer on this forum.
    Thanks again!

Kirby
    Kirby,

Though I am very late to reply...your are most welcome.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve, thanks for posting this about these medals.
    I did not know they had been made in this manner.

As you've shown, this one with copper insert was also numbered, is this the
    norm for numbered Purple Hearts or unique to this maker only ?

Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Kirby,

Though I am very late to reply...your are most welcome.
    Story of my life Steve "always day late and a dollar short"

My search continues for a Purple Heart. When I find one for a fair price Ill post it.

Kirby