Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rusty old tin find - help needed with medal

Article about: Hi all, I know I've posted a few "need help" posts recently but my son (who collects allied & homeland) last week visited an antiques shop (non militaria) and purchased a "

Default Rusty old tin find - help needed with medal

Hi all,
    I know I've posted a few "need help" posts recently but my son (who collects allied & homeland) last week visited an antiques shop (non militaria) and purchased a "dug up tin of medals" for the princely sum of £3.

Upon opening the tin there were 4 medals and a photo with some writing on the back which the tin and contents are shown in photo 1.

One of the medals was unrecognisable due to dirt/rust on it so we decided to clean it up, once cleaned we looked the medal up and it seems to be a "dutch flying cross" (also known as Vliegerkruis I believe) with other information leading me to believe only 735 were issued.

I am not interested in a value appraisal as my son has no intention in selling the item but I would appreciate any one being able to give any more information and confirmation or not if it's a fake (which I suspect it is due to the price paid).

I have given close photos to review but if any more/better photos are needed please ask and I will retake.

Many thanks in advance.

Andre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rusty old tin find  - help needed with medal   Rusty old tin find  - help needed with medal  

Rusty old tin find  - help needed with medal   Rusty old tin find  - help needed with medal  

?

Hi Andreuk,

The Airman's Cross (Dutch: Vliegerkruis) is an important military decoration of the Kingdom of the Netherlands created in 1941. The cross is meant for those Dutch military, who displayed during one of more flights in an aircraft, initiative, courage and perseverance against the enemy or during hostile actions. The cross is also awarded to allied pilots, whose actions or performances in the air were of high importance for the Netherlands.
    Till 2007 in total of 735 Airman's Crosses are awarded, most recently to a F-16 pilot, Air Force Major M. Duivesteijn. This because of his "exceptional courage and perseverance" at a flight above former Yugoslavia within the framework of NATO Operation Allied Force in 1999. Well-known recipient are also Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema, the "Soldier of Orange", and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands.
    The Airman's Cross is the fifth highest military decoration still being awarded for bravery and has precedence after the Cross of Merit.

I hope this helps you a lot.

For the price: I have seen crosses with ribbon going for 75 euro's. I think yours without ribbon is still worth around 40-45 euro's.
    It's not a fake.

Here is an example with ribbon.

Nice find!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rusty old tin find  - help needed with medal  

all the medals are originals imo.

?

I don't know about the other medals but the airman's cross is Original. The other medals are British I think.

Quote by jojo12 View Post
    I don't know about the other medals but the airman's cross is Original. The other medals are British I think.
    Yes the others are ww2 british 1939-45 star, war & defence medals and the tin is a US Carlisle bandage tin, worn in a pouch on the belt of the US ww2 soldier.... worth the 3 pounds itself.

Good one!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

CBH
    ?

A very nice Group , if you keep it I'd consider mounting the medals .

Thanks guys for the replies, my son is pleased as punch that the medal is real and the information given.

Quote by CBH View Post
    A very nice Group , if you keep it I'd consider mounting the medals .
    How do you mount the Medals? Apologies if I should know this....

I would be as punch myself. tell him from me well done.
    Rod

Quote by Andreuk View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies, my son is pleased as punch that the medal is real and the information given.

How do you mount the Medals? Apologies if I should know this....
    like this ......

cheers, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images Rusty old tin find  - help needed with medal 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

CBH
    ?

And I believe these metals could be worn together , could a Dutch member comment on this .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast