Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Silver Star Medal and Box for opinions

Article about: I'm looking at this silver star set, and wanted to make sure it all looks okay before springing for it. The price the seller has on it is \\$185, and in this instance I have nothing to compare

Default Silver Star Medal and Box for opinions

I'm looking at this WW2 silver star set, and wanted to make sure it all looks okay before springing for it. The price the seller has on it is $185, and in this instance I have nothing to compare that price to, to know if it's on the mark or not. It's the first one I've came across for sale, and I've read they're somewhat restricted online. I've bought from this seller before, so my hunch is that's a little on the higher end of pricing though, but how much I couldn't say.

Thanks for the help!

The pin on the medal is a stitch design, which was used from mid-war to into Korea. The ribbon looks to be rayon-which would be correct. The ribbon bar looks proper as well. Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of myself, to tell the exact era of issue. It could just as easily be WWII or Korean. Same cases-same materials. The Finish on this one is abit on the shiny side and a little roughly made. I'm wondering if this could indicate a later or Korean issue, as most WWII's that I've seen are pretty finely finished. Pricewise? In My opinion, $185 is pretty high, but then again, I haven't priced one in awhile. I probably wouldn't pay more than $150 for one myself, but I would want it ID'ed, if so.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks William for that feedback. I've asked the seller for a better photo of the front of the medal, and if the star is numbered or not. This will shed some better light on this I think. Pinning US medals to WW2 doesn't seem easy without any other clues to whom it might have been issued to. In this case, I don't think there is any identification to go by.

Here's one that was recently offered for sale on another site for comparison:

WWII Cased Numbered Silver Star - FS Medals, Decorations, Ribbons, & Accessories - U.S. Militaria Forum