Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are these British medals fakes?

Article about: I hope this is the right place to ask this, i have 2 medals which i have recently been told are fakes. Can anybody tell from the photo is they are genuine, reproductions or fakes? 16 Jan to

?

Default Are these British medals fakes?

I hope this is the right place to ask this, i have 2 medals which i have recently been told are fakes.

Can anybody tell from the photo is they are genuine, reproductions or fakes?

16 Jan to 28 Feb 1991 - The gulf medal

Northern Ireland for campaign service

Many thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are these British medals fakes?  
    Last edited by Medals; 04-16-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: prefix

?

to start with ...

Both medals should have impressed / lasered .. Name - Rank - Service number - Regiment on the rims.

?

Hi thanks for the reply

They both do - 8 digit number GDMN Name of soldier T.L. SCOTS GUARDS.
    Last edited by Medals; 04-16-2014 at 10:48 PM.

?

Their good !
    .. And worth hanging on to !

Northern Ireland GSM's are now becoming sort after, and tallied with a 1st Gulf war medal, named to the same soldier, turn them into a nice pair.

?

Okay thanks for the advice

It was just strange as it was a well known medal shop (which i will prefer not to name) that told me they were fake.

Hi if they should swivel at the joint where the coin part of the medal is fixed , if not most likely copies

?

These medals look to be real.. As with lots of Guardmans medals they end up on the parade ground & if you look at that Gulf medal it looks like it has seen the floor a few times..!!!.So when your medals end up on the ground they get stood on which never does them any favours. So like it has already been said the shop was trying to pull a flanker.. A nice set worth displaying . Cheers Terry.

?

Medals look fine to me, and a very nice pair to own.

BobS

I can't tell if they are genuine from the picture because the 'replacement' quality copies are virtually as good as the original. Replacement medals are die-struck in nickel. I have my own original NI medal and a die-struck copy of the same medal, and believe me - there is not really anything different which you would actually see from a picture alone. As has already been said, if the medal is rigid and will not rotate when you grip the bar below the clasp, then it is a copy. If you look on the obverse at the top, look to see if they are marked 'COPY' in very small letters. It will be found above the wreath.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast