Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!

Article about: Hello! Today I received a number of items. In the lot is this Legion of Merit medal with miniature. I know that these were first instituted in 1942, could you please tell me how old this med

Default United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!

Hello! Today I received a number of items. In the lot is this Legion of Merit medal with miniature. I know that these were first instituted in 1942, could you please tell me how old this medal is and if it is genuine? I have seen them for sale on eBay for around £100, would this one fall into the same sort of price category? Also what do you make of the POW medal?
    Thanks, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!   United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!  

United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!   United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!  

Default Re: United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!

Hi Glen, could you post a pic of the LOM ribbon and catch please. The POW medal looks ok govt issue IMO, hard to tell as these are readily available from numerous sources.

Thanks
    Burt

The mini Legion Of Merit is likely a Sweetheart type piece or a replica,
    not a genuine miniature.

Full size LOM looks good even if rough, but reverse photo of the
    clasp will show if it's older. Appears that someone has scratched
    the center of the reverse to see if it is real solid gold.
    Tsk, pawnbrokers.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the replies here are some additional images.
    Thanks, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!   United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!  

United States Legion of Merit medal with miniature, help please!  

Do these pictures help you to determine its age?
    Thanks, Glen.

Its a crimped brooch style and the thin style like this one is usually seen post 1947 I would say that this could be from the Korean War era but probably early Vietnam. There is a good patina on the enamel which makes me think its early some of the later medals had cheap looking enamel that isn't as dark and rich on the red portion.