Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Medal, Need Help!

Article about: I bought this medal a couple days ago and I have no idea what it is, the weird thing is that it has been made in 1942, in Oslo, and it can't be German. And since Norway was occupied in 1940

Default Unknown Medal, Need Help!

I bought this medal a couple days ago and I have no idea what it is, the weird thing is that it has been made in 1942, in Oslo, and it can't be German. And since Norway was occupied in 1940 I thought it was really weird.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Medal, Need Help!   Unknown Medal, Need Help!  

Unknown Medal, Need Help!   Unknown Medal, Need Help!  

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: Unknown Medal, Need Help!

You peaked my interest on this one. I threw the inscription into google translator and the rough translation is "A declaration for long faithful service". It must be some type of Norwegian Civil Service Award. Very cool, thanks for showing.

Jay

Well, what it says on the front is:
    "For Long And True Service"

And on the back it says:
    "From The Royal Party For The Good Of Norway".

Adwarded to Åsta Erklev(A woman) in 1942.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

You are far more advanced then I Vegar! I thought that the entire Royal Family vacated the country in 1941? I agree with you, very interesting piece. I couldn't even begin to translate the backside inscription. Thanks for setting me straight.

Jay

Well, since I am Norwegian myself( ) I don't need a translator, btw: The Royal Family were evacuated in April 1940.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

Well you just gave up your secret Vegar. I now know where to look for all my translations in Norwegian! Just kidding. So how would they give out a Royal Medal in German Occupied Norway. I know that Hitler gave Norway some autonomy, but do you think that much?

It could have been made secretly and then smuggled to England, but that is a bit of a crazy idea don't you think? And most medals awarded to Norwegians after 1940 were made in England(London I think).
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

Yeah, as late as 1942, I'm sure it was probably made in England. It must be some type of award that the Royals gave out to people that helped them once the Norwegian government was set up in London. I can't find information on this medal. It must be somewhat rare. It looks like a stainless steel or high silver content medal.

Well, it is dated "David Andersen - Oslo", which should mean it were made in Norway.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

That's a good point. Now you have a mystery to solve. Maybe someone else on the forum will have more info. Good luck Vegar!

Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast