Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Air Medal for review

Article about: Here's an air medal I bought, for review. It is slot brooch, and in a wooden coffin case. Oddly, the thread that sews the ribbon to the slot brooch is white, and all those I've seen before a

Default US Air Medal for review

Here's an air medal I bought, for review. It is slot brooch, and in a wooden coffin case. Oddly, the thread that sews the ribbon to the slot brooch is white, and all those I've seen before are blue to match the ribbon. A blacklight test reveals the white thread glows brightly, so I suspect this is alas a resewn ribbon. Hopefully the medal itself is still WW2 and not just transferred to a slot brooch configuration.

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

US Air Medal for review

I think what is bugging me about this medal is that the planchet is a modern version that has been attached to an older brooch, which was pointed out to me by a friend. I hoped it might have just come apart and been resewn at some point, but I don't think that's the case. The ribbon I believe is a later replacement as well as it doesn't have the right sheen in hand and is brighter colors from the ribbon bar, making the brooch the only part on the medal that is WW2. The pin, ribbon bar and wooden case I think are good. Too bad somebody has messed with the medal.

I guess this one will be going back.

It would appear that way. Strange how the planchet
    was struck a bit off center.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Luckily this is one of the less expensive and difficult medals to get. I will certainly find another! I didn't expect to get into US medals like I have. I have to say, I'm rather fond of them. The case, pin, ribbon bar, ect. make them such a lovely package to open every time. And, being a US citizen, even though I didn't earn them, I share a certain connection to them that makes me proud to hold them. The hunt, definitely continues! I hope the silver star I got from this seller is good. I can't find any fault in it, but I've been told the higher medals can be tricky to find sometimes.

I am rather fond of them as well.........
    Regards,

Steve.