Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

US Air Medal WW2 in Case with Miniature

Article about: Well the last of my buying spree of US awards arrived today. A mint NIB Slot Brooch WW2 era Air Medal complete with lapel pin, ribbon bar, extra swatches of fabric and a miniature. It's an i

MAP
    ?

Default US Air Medal WW2 in Case with Miniature

Well the last of my buying spree of US awards arrived today.

A mint NIB Slot Brooch WW2 era Air Medal complete with lapel pin, ribbon bar, extra swatches of fabric and a miniature.

It's an interesting purchase because it came with an extra ribbon bar and an engraving card. Both of these are post WW2 era and from the 1960's (it's printed on the engraving card). The extra ribbon bar is marked N.S. Meyer, a big producer of awards. I'm also assuming that the miniature award is 1960's era as well.

So basically it was left over WW2 stock that was awarded in the 60's.

Enjoy! Sorry...lots of photos. Double click to enlarge.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

MAP very nice

Very cool. The set is immaculate! I have even heard that there were US medals manufactured during WWII still being awarded in Iraq and Afghanistan

MAP
    ?

Thanks Gent.

Eagle Mtn: Yes. I have heard that as well and I'm sure it is true. There were massive amounts of surplus stock after WW2 so I would not be surprised to find Bronze and Silver Stars still being issued. But I'm still a newbie with US Awards so I can claim any expert levels of knowledge on these stories.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP,

Looks better up close with the additional pictures..

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    MAP,

Looks better up close with the additional pictures..

Smitty
    Thanks Smitty. Yes. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box. The eBay photos were quite poor to begin with. But good enough for you to spot the stamping on the back of the ribbon bar LoL! And for the price I can't complain at all

Nice one Michael, took me a little while to marry up my coffin box with a period medal.
    Quite a striking design these medals are.

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nice one Michael, took me a little while to marry up my coffin box with a period medal.
    Quite a striking design these medals are.
    I got this on an ebay auction and got very lucky on the price. Agree, the design is great. You can obviously see the influence of the WW2 era. But my favorite is the distinguished service cross. A classic design to me.

?

Great pick up Michael. NOS!! Looks awesome.
    It all depended what Army Air Force you were a member of for the requirements for receiving this award.
    For the 8th AF it was 5 missions.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Great pick up Michael. NOS!! Looks awesome.
    It all depended what Army Air Force you were a member of for the requirements for receiving this award.
    For the 8th AF it was 5 missions.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil. Yes. NOS!

I've read that in Vietnam these were handed out so often due to the hours flow that they had to change the rules. (Or something like that)