Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Awards - Refernece books and dealers??

Article about: Will be expanding my area's of interest in 2019 hoping to add some WW1/WW2 US medals/awards beyond the few that I already have. So reaching out to you all for some recommendations for good r

MAP
    ?

Default US Awards - Refernece books and dealers??

Will be expanding my area's of interest in 2019 hoping to add some WW1/WW2 US medals/awards beyond the few that I already have.

So reaching out to you all for some recommendations for good reference books as well as US dealers.

I've run across Stewarts which seem to have a modest selection but that is around it.

As far as books, I initially want to focus on USAAF wings and the general service/victory/campaign medals but I want to add to my valor awards as well. I already have the bronze/silver stars, purples hearts and DSC's but want to add a Navy Cross and a Distinguished Flying Cross

Thanks!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is certainly not my specialty, but this book has helped me a lot.

US Awards - Refernece books and dealers??

Best regardrs.

MAP
    ?

Thanks! Does it help identify WW2 vs Post War produced awards? That is my main concern.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Not my area of expertise, either and I can't help you much with books specifically written from a collecting perspective, but for general refence on U.S. awards, badges and decorations (overview, history, design, award criteria etc.) I can recommend these five titles:

• The Call of Duty. Military Awards and Decorations of the United States of America by LTC John E. Strandberg & Roger James Bender
    • Decorations, Medals, Ribbons, Badges and Insignia of the United States Marine Corps, World War II to Present by James G. Thompson
    • Decorations, Medals, Ribbons, Badges and Insignia of the United States Navy, World War II to Present by James G. Thompson
    • Decorations, Medals, Ribbons, Badges and Insignia of the United States Air Force, World War II to Present by Lt. Col. Anthony "Tony" Aldebol USAF (Ret.)
    • Complete Guide to United States Army Medals, Badges and Insignia, World War II to Present by Colonel Frank C. Foster USA (Ret.)

For WWI flight badges in particular:
    • Flight Badges of the Allied Nations 1914 - 1918, Volume II by CDR. Robert S. Pandis, USNR (Ret.)*

For the Submarine service in particular:
    • U.S. Silent Service. Dolphins & Combat Insignia 1924 - 1945 by David S. Jones

*) That one actually should be very helpful for collecting purposes.

MAP
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I can't help you with books specifically written from a collecting perspective, but for general refence on U.S. awards, badges and decorations (overview, history, design, award criteria etc.) I can recommend:

The Call of Duty. Military Awards and Decorations of the United States of America by LTC John E. Strandberg & Roger James Bender
    Decorations, Medals, Ribbons, Badges and Insignia of the United States Marine Corps, World War II to Present by James G. Thompson
    Decorations, Medals, Ribbons, Badges and Insignia of the United States Navy, World War II to Present by James G. Thompson
    Decorations, Medals, Ribbons, Badges and Insignia of the United States Air Force, World War II to Present by Lt. Col. Anthony "Tony" Aldebol USAF (Ret.)
    Complete Guide to United States Army Medals, Badges and Insignia, World War II to Present by Colonel Frank C. Foster USA (Ret.)

For WWI flight badges in particular:
    Flight Badges of the Allied Nations 1914 - 1918, Volume II by CDR. Robert S. Pandis, USNR (Ret.)

For the Submarine service in particular:
    U.S. Silent Service. Dolphins & Combat Insignia 1924 - 1945 by David S. Jones
    Thanks! I know about the awards and background for many of them but always good to know more. Will look for these! Thanks again!

My main concern is avoiding the situation I had last month. Bought a CIB and Para Wings. Only to find out they were post war (but still original).

I think this one would fit what you are looking for. I do not own it but have looked through a friends copy. Seems pretty good and not very expensive.

Military Medals of America by: Colonel Frank C. Foster

John

MAP
    ?

Looks good John. Thanks!

?

The best reference you're going to find on US Medals is the US Militaria Forum (USMF) at US MILITARIA COLLECTORS FORUM . You don't have to be a member to read and search. Lots of medals are sold there routinely, as well.

There is also a subforum there with an extensive listing of dealers and sellers

MAP
    ?

Quote by Brig View Post
    The best reference you're going to find on US Medals is the US Militaria Forum (USMF) at US MILITARIA COLLECTORS FORUM . You don't have to be a member to read and search. Lots of medals are sold there routinely, as well.

There is also a subforum there with an extensive listing of dealers and sellers
    This is great advice and thanks for the help. I've visited their site occasionally in the past and it's been good. Happy to join but I limit my "participation" on forums to just a few with WRF being my "home". Just not enough time in the day to be active on all of them!

?

Content is free, so always good for a reference, at least

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast