Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Bronze Star

Article about: Got this in a WII renactment show. The salesmen said it was a silver star but I believe it is a bronze star. I got it for only \\$28 USD. I was wanting to know what everyone thought of it. als

Endgame 1945
    ?

Default US Bronze Star

Got this in a WII renactment show. The salesmen said it was a silver star but I believe it is a bronze star. I got it for only $28 USD.
    I was wanting to know what everyone thought of it. also, does anyone know of a way to tell if it is a fake or not? Additionally, as you might see in the pictures the ribbon has seen better days. Does any one know of a company that can sell a quality replacement?

Thanks for all and any input!

Default Re: US Bronze Star

Looks like someone took an old Bronze Star Medal and placed a crappy ribbon on it or at the very least placed modern clutches and push pin fixture on. I wouldn't bother doing anything to this one as really, it isn't worth the time or expense.

You can pick up mint condition examples from WWII pin back examples w/ribbon bar in the original shipping packet for right at $30.00. Jeff at AGM had a trunk load of these a while back and sold them for about that much. Original single medals in mint condition can be had quite easily for around $18-20 USD.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

the Army practically gives them away these days

Endgame 1945
    ?

Angry Re: US Bronze Star

Looks like someone took an old Bronze Star Medal......
    I hope when you say "old" you don't also mean "Crappy" as that would be an obviously ridiculous remark. The "Old" Bronze star is in fairly good condition and looks very nice. Quite Honestly, I really wouldn't care for a brand new bronze star. why you ask? Well by Gosh common sense would immediately tell you that there shouldn't be truck loads of mint condition medals for a war that happened 64 years ago! Obviously, many of those are fakes! it's simple math!

Well there is truck loads of them and we still make them by the millions and you can buy a brand new military regulation medal of the internet for cheap as we still need bronze medals so there isn't really any need for fakes as they are cheap anyway (unless you would want one out of plastic) and that is what I think Steve was trying to say, like I said my military practically gives them away the only real difference with the WWII bronze would be the ribbon material and the clasp and if you would like to replace anything its really easy to do and there are a ton of places.
    In fact you can attend one of our many anti war protests and follow an Afghan-Iraq vet around as I'm sure he will be throwing his medals at something and all you would have to do is just pick them up and voila! but as Steve said it really wouldn't be worth the hassle
    and honestly your medal doesnt look old at all, soldiers are getting them awarded every day ones that look exactly like the one above

But what really matters is that you really like the medal and want to take care of it and that's the only thing that matters

Cheers

P.S. sorry about the protest joke that was funny I had to use it

Quote by Endgame 1945 View Post
    I hope when you say "old" you don't also mean "Crappy" as that would be an obviously ridiculous remark. The "Old" Bronze star is in fairly good condition and looks very nice. Quite Honestly, I really wouldn't care for a brand new bronze star. why you ask? Well by Gosh common sense would immediately tell you that there shouldn't be truck loads of mint condition medals for a war that happened 64 years ago! Obviously, many of those are fakes! it's simple math!
    If you re-read the post, I clearly said that the ribbon was crappy. When I said the medal was old, I meant older vintage.

Common sense and simple math means nothing in this case, but known facts are relevant. And it is a known fact amongst experienced and long time collectors that there are still many examples of mint, unissued, new old stock original medals from WWII available, especially WWII Victory and campaign medals. The contracts granted by the government were not based on producing the amount actually to be awarded at a given time. Many thousands over the number actually awarded were manufactured and in the case of not only the Bronze Star Medal but also Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and so on.

In FACT, I once owned an attributed, officially engraved BB&B Silver Star Medal manufactured in the original contract run of 1932 that was awarded to a Private in 1943 who served in the Pacific Campaign in WWII - 11 years after production. Old stock medals from WWII were awarded into Korea, and Vietnam Wars and in some cases, beyond.

Regarding the PH Medal, a stockpile from WWII was found (an internet search will provide the newspaper article confirming this) a few years back during the recent Iraq war, shipped to theater and awarded to combat vets who were wounded. How could this be? Because history tells us through research and study, that there was an invasion of mainland Japan planned before the development of the atomic bomb. As a result, the casualty rate was expected to be in the hundreds of thousands. History also tells us that that planned invasion never happened, so all of those Purple Heart Medals sat on shelves in warehouses, with numbers of them being awarded in the wars following.

I personally was awarded a US Army Expeditionary Medal in the original box from the late 1960's - I was awarded the medal in 1997 - 30 odd years later.

As far as fakes of Bronze Star Medals, there are no factories cranking out fakes of them because the market is not there. When this medal was created in 1943, it began to slowly and progressively be awarded very liberally, especially today. Even in WWII, a very high percentage of Infantrymen were awarded them for being at the right place at the right time, or vice versa with no real single individual act of heroism. Another fact concerning the BSM is that in the 1950's, thousands of soldiers awarded the CIB were awarded the BSM as an upgrade to the CIB.

I see you are new to the forum, when I am asked a question, I base my answer on my experience in collecting in this are for 25 years now. It is not wise for me or anyone else who is offering an answer or help to speculate based on what seems to be common sense or a "given". My comments still stand - happy collecting.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

jeeeeeeeez hes good lol we get em just for deploying now days it seems like

?

you can pick up WW2 era bronze stars for as little as £14 on eBay in the UK.

Hi nick,
    I was offered one on Sat, at our local market for £15.00, but i dont collect U.S medals.
    dave.

Generally. WWII types are pin-back and have the edges of the ribbon stitched to the broach with white thread...............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast