Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Legion of Merit - Legionnaire grade - WW2 full "wrap" brooch

Article about: So another US award arrived in the mail today. I keep ticking off the boxes This is a loose example (I'm eyeing a full cased example as I type this) but it is in really nice condition with n

MAP
    ?

Default US Legion of Merit - Legionnaire grade - WW2 full "wrap" brooch

So another US award arrived in the mail today. I keep ticking off the boxes

This is a loose example (I'm eyeing a full cased example as I type this) but it is in really nice condition with no chips to the enamel and a nice solid ribbon. It has the early style full wrap brooch

That said, the US enamel does not come even close in quality as German enamel.

The LoM came in 4 grades. Chief Commander, Commander, Officer and Legionnaire. It was instituted in 1942. For WW2, the LoM was instituted to recognize members of the US Armed Forces for a wide range of outstanding contributions to America's war effort. The LoM was also awarded to foreign recipients, (the Chief Commander, Commander and Officers grades). US Armed Forces were only awarded the lowest Legionnaire grade during WW2.

Today, I think the LoM ranks #7 in order of precedent.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great looking medal..

Nice patina overall.. Great enamel as well

Smitty

?

MAP very nice

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Great looking medal..

Nice patina overall.. Great enamel as well

Smitty
    Thanks Smitty. And thanks for the help. Spent a bit more than I was hoping to but it wasn't much in the grand scheme. I more than made up for it on my latest purchase coming Friday

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Another nice one Michael, the enamel may not match a German medal but who won the war. LOL
    I agree the medal ranks 7th but I believe in the navy it’s 6th, may be wrong I am going off memory and may be setting myself up for failure.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Another nice one Michael, the enamel may not match a German medal but who won the war. LOL
    I agree the medal ranks 7th but I believe in the navy it’s 6th, may be wrong I am going off memory and may be setting myself up for failure.

Marty
    LoL!!! yes.

It's a very different looking award for the US. I quite like it. I'm eyeing one that is complete with coffin case, ribbon bar and lapel pin.........but......I just bought something pretty spectacular that has but a serious dent in my 2019 collecting budget (and so early in the year too) I think I will have to pass.

Very nice piece MAP!

MAP
    ?

Quote by carpediem View Post
    Very nice piece MAP!
    Slowly but surely.

It's not an award that has been shown on the forum much.

Is it the thing Ken was on the look out for you?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Is it the thing Ken was on the look out for you?

Marty
    Nope...you have to wait.......

Hint: Filling a big hole in my Luft collection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast