Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

US Selective Service Award

Article about: This was another weekend pick up. A complete US Selective Service (Draft) Award with cardboard box, lapel pin and ribbon bar. Took me forever to figure you how to remove the award for photos

[QUOTE=MAP;1949292]This was another weekend pick up.

A complete US Selective Service (Draft) Award with cardboard box, lapel pin and ribbon bar. Took me forever to figure you how to remove the award for photos. I felt like an idiot once I figured it out.

The hinge on the box is partially torn.

A really nice example. [QUOTE]

Please excuse my ignorance as I am not totally "au fait" with US medals as I probably should be although I have a few from the period but what were/are the award criteria for this award? The word selective naturally suggests to me an element of choice yet the mention of "draft" clearly refers to conscription. So, is this a service medal for a serviceman (or woman) that was as we in UK would say "called up"? Everyday is a school day LOL!

Nice to see the complete set too.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

MAP
    ?

The award is for members that worked "for" the Selective Service "Administration". Not the people who got drafted.

The "choice" is not those who get drafted, but whether they were "fit for duty" as determined by the Selective Services.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    The award is for members that worked "for" the Selective Service "Administration". Not the people who got drafted.

The "choice" is not those who get drafted, but whether they were "fit for duty" as determined by the Selective Services.
    Ah! Thanks for that. This is probably why I haven't seen it before in vet groups. Is this connected to the "Draft Board" often referenced in Hollywood productions (I know that is the least reliable source of accurate info!)?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

MAP
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Ah! Thanks for that. This is probably why I haven't seen it before in vet groups. Is this connected to the "Draft Board" often referenced in Hollywood productions (I know that is the least reliable source of accurate info!)?

Regards

Mark
    Yes...we can always trust Hollywood and Wikipedia

And since most vets were not awarded this medal (except for stateside service personnel who worked for the Selective Services...it is not viewed as highly desirable
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12