Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam War Group. 169th Infantry.

Article about: Thought id share this interesting Vietnam War grouping. The medals, badges and the patch were found pinned to an American flag during the Vietnam Veterans Against The War protests. The flag

Default Vietnam War Group. 169th Infantry.

Thought id share this interesting Vietnam War grouping. The medals, badges and the patch were found pinned to an American flag during the Vietnam Veterans Against The War protests. The flag was one of a great many left outside the Whitehouse during this period of unease. A message written on the flag read "Vietnam veterans against the war-SGT J Wilson 169th Infantry Brigade"! The awards here include the National Defence, Vietnam Service, Rep South Vietnam Service and bar, Purple Heart, Bronze Star and Joint Services Commendation medals. Badges inc the Combat Medic, Helicopter Assault and cant remember now what the blue enammelled one is for! There is also a 169th Infantry badge and cloth patch. These were i was told obtained by a collector in France who also had the flag, but sadly i dont have this either. These items were just an example of the many hundreds handed in or abandonned at various US government institutions during the Anti War protests. Very attractive medal group all the same!

?

Default Re: Vietnam War Group. 169th Infantry.

I will refrain from bringing my own political views to the forum but a nice group indeed. The blue badge you mentioned is the Combat Infantry Badge or CIB.

I remember reading or watching the news on TV back then, of young vets
    throwing their medals over the White House fence...........
    Also, I recall a TV program called 'China Beach' in the early 80's,
    where I think the 196th Div. was 're-enacted'. The shoulder patch looks familiar

These are a Heroes medals, IMO, from a difficult and turbulent time in Americas history.

Thank you for showing them.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-26-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I remember reading or watching the news on TV back then, of young vets
    throwing their medals over the White House fence...........
    Also, I recall a TV program called 'China Beach' in the early 80's,
    where the 169th Div. was 're-enacted'.

These are a Heroes medals, IMO, from a difficult and turbulent time in Americas history.

Thank you for showing them.
    I often wonder if the brave guy who won these awards ever regrets sending them back. Most vets came away with at least one or more Purple Hearts for wounds received due to enemy action and i think this medal alone symbolises Vietnam best as i allways think of Vietnam when i hear "Purple Heart", small consolation though for a guy who might have suffered severe incapacity like losing an arm or leg or maybe both. I think many of the vets who turned against the war did so out of sheer frustration at the political ineptitude and running of the war which lasted for 10,000 days. One must also remember those who did not return home and i think every one of those guys who fought in Nam was a real hero as it was one hell of a mean place to have to fight. Its a pleasure to share them and thanks for the comments.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    I often wonder if the brave guy who won these awards ever regrets sending them back. Most vets came away with at least one or more Purple Hearts for wounds received due to enemy action and i think this medal alone symbolises Vietnam best as i allways think of Vietnam when i hear "Purple Heart", small consolation though for a guy who might have suffered severe incapacity like losing an arm or leg or maybe both. I think many of the vets who turned against the war did so out of sheer frustration at the political ineptitude and running of the war which lasted for 10,000 days. One must also remember those who did not return home and i think every one of those guys who fought in Nam was a real hero as it was one hell of a mean place to have to fight. Its a pleasure to share them and thanks for the comments.
    Made balls up it was 196th Infantry NOT 169th!! Got the numbers wrong way around silly me. This unit sure saw some hot action though i dont think the South Vietnam medal belonged to Sgt Wilson as his unit was not in Nam in 1960-1 the qualifying period for this particular medal. At a guess i would say anotehr vet pinned that one to his flag of protest??