Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What I can find of my grand fathers medals, and ribbons.

Article about: Correction, He is on the third row 5th from the right. So we were a row off. I found another of the same picture last night. Phil Thank you for responding! It's cool that you have been to th

Default What I can find of my grand fathers medals, and ribbons.

Hello all, I believe these are what's left of (we had some really bad care givers for my grandmother) my grand fathers Ribbons and Medals he received when he was in the United States Marine Corps. When I was going through what he had I realized there are two of the same ribbons, the first is the (American Defense Service medal), and the second is the (Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal.) I am planning on ordering his service record (when I find out how). I then plan on putting all of his medals and ribbons into a shadow case. Do y'all have any suggestions on a good company I can order two shadow case's from? I am also wondering if any of you have seen this kind of ring before, What I can find of my grand fathers medals, and ribbons.What I can find of my grand fathers medals, and ribbons.. Thank you for reading my post's!

From Alex

Default Re: What I can find of my grand fathers medals, and ribbons.

The ring is from the American Legion they have chapters everywhere in the United states.
    You grandfather would have been a member because of his service in WW2.
    The number on the ring not sure maybe the chapter number.
    chris

Alex: Check this link out if you are looking for info on your grandfather's service records. I hope this helps.
    National Archives and Records Administration

Luke

?

Very nice older sharpshooters badge and a good cookie to boot!! Thats awesome you are going to build a shadow box in his honor!!!!
    So was he in Philadelphia? I'm just wondering about the Liberty bell pin.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

cricketchris1944, Thank you for your reply. I was thinking it was his chapter, but then I came across this, Vetcom supporting 40 and 8 Fundraising. So maybe it's one of their old rings. I am not sheer.

rogge16, thank you for your idea. I have not yet ordered the records. The link that you gave me does work so thank you.

AZPhil, thank you for your input. When I was looking up the sharpshooter badge, I mostly found "Rifle,or Pistol sharpshooter" but not that many just sharpshooter badges so i thought that was a bit odd. Can you give me any light on that? Yes I am building the honor box for his honor. I just hate to see all of his badges and medals just sitting in a box and not out to be seen. I hate seeing military awards just collecting dust in a box, and I hate seeing American Flags folded up like a blanket!! (My rant for the day!)

From Alex

Such an honour to have your Grandfathers medals. I know you are
    proud of his service, as we all should be for each of these brave
    Heroes. Nice to see they will be cherished and cared for.

The ribbon bar 'doubles' were probably used on other uniforms
    he may have had, as only one ribbon for each medal earned
    could be worn.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Walkwolf, I am proud of what he did, (although I never met him I am told I am just like him.) I was talking to my father about the "double" medals and we just did not know, we were sheer that he did not wear two of the same ribbons at the same time .

From Alex

Hey all, I have not been on all that much lately, I just wanted to share a few photo graphs with y'all. They are of my grandfathers unit is WW2 L. 3rd Marines New River NC (north Carolina) Aug. 1942. I found this picture earlier today in storage, I thought that it was pretty cool. We think he is the 5th person in on the top right. Sadly my father can not tell if it is him or not.

?

That pic would have been very early in the 3rd Marines activation to be at New River. I have been to that base several time while supporting a Rotor Head squadron. Here is a quick look.
    "World War II [edit]
    The 3rd Marine Regiment was reactivated on June 16, 1942, at New River, North Carolina, as part of the World War II military expansion. They deployed to American Samoa on September 14, 1942 and were attached to the 2nd Marine Brigade. The regiment redeployed to New Zealand on May 23, 1943 and were reassigned to the 3rd Marine Division at that time.[11] The regiment fought at Bougainville and Guam. Four Medals of Honor were awarded to members of 3rd Marines for actions during this period.
    Following World War II, the regiment was ordered to China to aid in the disarming of Japanese units and to assist the Nationalist government in the occupation of Northern China in an effort to deny land to the communists."

And to add to your question about his sharpshooter Badge( Sorry For not replying just noticed it today) I believe this would be for the rifle.Since there is nothing else added to it, such as pistol qual.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Very nice i love how you are preserving your family history do you know what battles your father fought at ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast