Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Engraved Purple Heart

Article about: I recently obtained this purple heart from a WW1 soldier. I have all the service records and discharge papers that state his combat wound. I am not looking for value as I do not believe in p

Default WW1 Engraved Purple Heart

I recently obtained this purple heart from a WW1 soldier. I have all the service records and discharge papers that state his combat wound. I am not looking for value as I do not believe in profiting from these and have also covered most of his last name. However, I am wondering if when issued if they were engraved or if the engraving was done by the recipient at a later date.

Thanks,
    Phil

WW1 Engraved Purple HeartWW1 Engraved Purple Heart

Default Re: WW1 Engraved Purple Heart

Hello Phil, There were both official and privately engraved medals. The one you show here looks privately engraved to my old eyes, anyway. Here is a very good website that discusses this very thing in good detail:
    "Privately Engraved" Medals
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the link!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Hello Phil, There were both official and privately engraved medals. The one you show here looks privately engraved to my old eyes, anyway. Here is a very good website that discusses this very thing in good detail:
    "Privately Engraved" Medals
    I would agree ,privately engraved.
    chris

?

Always thought it a beautiful decoration.

The photo does not do this medal justice...in hand, they are so deep and rich Purple. A very solid and heavy but still gorgeous medal-but, considering that they were issued for physical pain and injury, I imagine it's only right that they Should be!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

If this is a WW1 award then unlike WW2 awards even the awards for being wounded were routinely "officially" engraved . This looks to be a textbook example, most likely awarded in the 1930's. The name should all be in upper case with the first letter of each name and middle initial being slightly larger. Also there should be ONE . after the middle initial if he had one.

Rob

?

Phil.
    I was just looking at your first picture again and in particular the brooch. Can't quite see but it looks like a bent slot brooch which according to Tom Lanes purplehearts.net website means that its a Metallic Arts medal from the 1939 contract. Its should also have a five digit serial number on the rim. Also just to confirm, the engraving is official government done.