Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 medal group Re-issue or replacement?

Article about: Hi guys, i have the opportunity to purchase this group from an upcoming auction (so apologies for the sneaky photo) It it a no brainer really, as i have his father's RGA ww1 pair that came u

Default WW2 medal group Re-issue or replacement?

Hi guys, i have the opportunity to purchase this group from an upcoming auction (so apologies for the sneaky photo)
    It it a no brainer really, as i have his father's RGA ww1 pair that came up at the same auction last week.

My question is are these a replacement? the medal box and slip are different to any that i have bought before, and look modern.

The stars however are genuine and are not marked with an R for replacement.

or is it possible that these could be simply a late issue?
    any thoughts appreciated.
    Ed

WW2 medal group Re-issue or replacement?

Could have been that the guy or his family sent for his medals at a later date

The position of Secretary of State for Defence was created in 1964, so I imagine these are original medals that were ordered very late.

thanks guys.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    The position of Secretary of State for Defence was created in 1964, so I imagine these are original medals that were ordered very late.

Quite correct as evidenced by the Royal Arms on the certificate having a Queens Crown. The fact that the box has a Kings Crown on the post paid label I do not find too surprising as with the medal office being the kind of organisation it is it would be no stretch of the imagination to allow that the boxes were stockpiled with labels ready to be addressed and that "old stocks" of KC were wasted out rather than thrown away and QC ones produced. After all coins with the previous sovereigns image remained legal tender and in circulation right up to decimalisation, almost 20 years!

I agree this is a good late issue set albeit a little unusual. In theory it is still possible for NOK of entitled veterans to claim war medals even yet.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-27-2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks guys for your inpu and putting my mind at ease. I managed to pick up the group, and have now put it together with his father's vic and bwm pair.

Thanks again

An interesting group with such a late date of issue. They are in certain circumstances issuing Great War medals.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.