Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 naval group

Article about: Hi, I picked up today a nice WW2 group to a sailor from Preston, Lancashire, There was actually 5 medals in the group, 39-45 star, Burma star, atlantic star, War medal, there is the paperwor

jwp
    ?

Default WW2 naval group

Hi,
    I picked up today a nice WW2 group to a sailor from Preston, Lancashire, There was actually 5 medals in the group, 39-45 star, Burma star, atlantic star, War medal, there is the paperwork which would have come with the medals stating 4 medals as entitlement, all the aforementioned have ribbons, the 5th, without ribbon is a defence medal, would I be right in thinking this is the odd one out ? also would it be correct to have a Burma and Atlantic star in a naval group ?, some nice pics of the chap and some documents, sadly nothing with his name on,
    thanks in anticipation,
    John.
    Last edited by jwp; 05-04-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Hi , the navy got around during the war so those combinations are fine! As for the defence medal , if for arguments sake the ship was in home port and the port were bombed and ships company helped in fire fighting duties, that would qualify you for the defence medal. Leon. EDIT:: Also bear in mind that a lot of WW2 groups come with other relatives medals, the defence medal may have been his wife's etc.

jwp
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi , the navy got around during the war so those combinations are fine! As for the defence medal , if for arguments sake the ship was in home port and the port were bombed and ships company helped in fire fighting duties, that would qualify you for the defence medal. Leon. EDIT:: Also bear in mind that a lot of WW2 groups come with other relatives medals, the defence medal may have been his wife's etc.
    many thanks for that, I think you may be right, the official slip that came with the medals lists his entitlement as four medals so as you say the defence medal could be a family member's. I will scan the pics and slip and post later, it's a shame I don't know the chaps name, the medals came from a house clearance in Preston lancs, there is a railway warrant for travel from Preston to Devonport with the group with the stamp of the joint recruitment centre Preston with the date 1940 wrote on the back.
    cheers,
    John.

?

Hello John no delivery box with the medals??.. that would have a name on it. Looking forward to the photos.. Cheers Terry.

jwp
    ?

Hi Terry, sadly no box with the medals but here are the photos and docs that came with the group. I assume the sailor in the portrait would be the recipitent of the medals ?, do you think the chap in the full length pic is the same chap ? this pic looks to have been taken in Canada.WW2 naval groupWW2 naval groupWW2 naval groupWW2 naval groupWW2 naval groupWW2 naval groupWW2 naval groupWW2 naval groupWW2 naval group

?

Top two snaps looks to be the same guy?? no expert though but the ears look the same he must of had a haircut on the right one because no hair sticking out from under his porkpie hat.. Looks good. Cheers Terry.