MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 RAF Flt.Lt. group for auction.

Article about: Just spotted this interesting collection up for sale at a local auction this week, a very interesting collection, think out of my price range though John. Estimated Price: 2500-4000 Annoyed

jwp
    ?

Default WW2 RAF Flt.Lt. group for auction.

Just spotted this interesting collection up for sale at a local auction this week, a very interesting collection, think out of my price range though
    John.

Estimated Price: 2500-4000

FLIGHT LIEUTENANT MATTHEW HOLLIDAY D.F.C., Flight Engineer for Bomber Command who completed fifty two combat missions, his medals and extensive archive, comprising Distinguished Flying Cross, 1939-45 Star, Bomber Command Clasp, Air Crew Europe Star with France and Germany Clasp, Africa Star with North Africa 1942-43 Clasp, Defence Medal, War Medal 1939-45, Bomber Command Medal 1985, Normandy Campaign Medal 1987, Battle of Britain Medal and U.S. Flying Wings, together with his flight log books, engineer's log book, an album of war time and later photographs, certificate of service and release, a detailed account by his Tail Gunner of a 1943 Berlin bombing raid, other certificates, a quantity of equipment and uniform including goggles, leather helmets, gloves, mask and boots. A considerable archive of personal records from Holliday and his colleagues and a quantity of general ephemera. Also included are his father's (Pte. J.N. Holliday of the Durham Light Infantry) WWI medals comprising British War Medal and Victory MedalWW2 RAF Flt.Lt. group for auction.

I wouldn't mind betting that bidding starts closer to the higher estimate and goes up from there due to the amount of items shown and unshown here. Hopefully they are selling it all as one lot as it would be wrong to break it up imo.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

jwp
    ?

Hi Ned, It appears it is being sold as one lot, auction is on Wednesday, sadly can't make it due to work but will see what it makes as they publish the prices a day or two later,

?

A very fine group, but I must say that I have been baffled for many years as to why DFC groups are so bloody expensive. They are far from scarce, and many were awarded during WWII.

BobS

I agree with Bob - there were 22,000 + DFC's for WW II (more than any other UK Gallantry award by type individually over the course of the war) by way of comparison there were 34K MC's for WW I, prices for these range from 1000 GBP to 5k GBP - depending on unit, theater etc. The DFC's are helped by the relative romance of aviation and I think the fact they have stayed in families or with veterans until relatively recently - I expect a larger number coming out over the next few years. In reality unless there is a good citation, and loads of ephemera these should be in the 1500BGP range for a group like this which is a 'good job' tour expired award.

Also, as officers awards we not named, anyone with one or a few pieces of paperwork could generate a group to an individual, in effect a 'clone' group - there could be 4 or 5 similar groups to a man depending on what paperwork is associated. The more paperwork you have in one place, logbooks, award letters, enclosure receipts etc., the less chance of this occurring.

jwp
    ?

Just checked the auction prices and the group went for £3200, so within its estimate,
    cheers,
    John.

Thanks John,

strong price that is still higher than is warranted IMO - but people and their money. You can add another 20% for auction house commission and VAT to the hammer price which will creep that closer to 4k GBP when the dust settles.

?

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Thanks John,

strong price that is still higher than is warranted IMO - but people and their money. You can add another 20% for auction house commission and VAT to the hammer price which will creep that closer to 4k GBP when the dust settles.
    I concur; a VERY strong price, and too high IMHO. Perhaps if he was a fighter pilot, or bomber pilot, but a flight engineer? No offense intended to flight engineers!
    Again, DFC's are not exactly rare. The other ephermera ceratinly helps the price, but at roughly 4,000 pounds, or almost $ 6,600 US, that's a lot of money.

BobS

At auction I'd expect to see that go for 1500-1800GBP, for that sort of thing. This is more of a central London high end medal dealer retail price. I agree - maybe if it were a fighter pilots with some action, or a really hairy bomber command immediate award for something like Hamburg or Peenemunde, but a generic 'good tour completed' award, yeah.Perhaps someone really wanted this for personal reasons, it makes no economic sense that's for sure. I've watched more interesting groups go for much less at other regional auction houses.

I am still looking to acquire a WW II DFC group for my collection - but I will bide my time and wait for a better bargain.