Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US medals

Article about: hiya guys got these today 4 US medals these are the air medal (the second one i have now), good conduct medal, American defense medal & WW2 medal. unfortunately no history as to who they

?

Default WW2 US medals

hiya guys
    got these today 4 US medals these are the air medal (the second one i have now), good conduct medal, American defense medal & WW2 medal. unfortunately no history as to who they might have been awarded to just bought as a job lot off ebay for £35.

they were in little plastic medal sleeves which to me are useless as they were damp & turning the medals green so removed & chucked them straight away

anyway hope you guys like them as much as i do
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 US medals   WW2 US medals  

WW2 US medals   WW2 US medals  

Default Re: WW2 US medals

Hi Nick, I think that was a nice little buy. Glad you ditched those sleeves. It just goes to show how even good intentions can result in poor storage and cause potential damage.

The Good Conduct medal would appear to be an unissued example, as I imagine it should be engraved with the soldiers name on the banner area if it was issued.

I like the design of the Air Medal in particular.

Cheers, Ade.

?

thanks Ade

i know people think that the plastic sleeves will help protect them but if you don't keep an eye on them any moisture what so ever gets in will slowly damage them so i don't use them much rather use medal stands & display them for all to see

they're probably all unissued as there's allot of these around maybe i'll never know unless bought from a vet.

the air medal has really grown on me its the second one ive got now the other one is in its issue coffin box i love the eagle & thunder bolt design
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 US medals   WW2 US medals  

Nice set of medals! The Airmedal and the WWII Victory Medal are the 1946 style crimp brooch and the Good Conduct and the American Defence Service Medal are the earlier Slot Brooch style.
    It is not common to find engraved Good Conduct medals. In general the only time you see that is when a soldier was killed and the government sent all of his medals to the family. Those would all have been engraved by the government. Obviuosly there were some soldiers who later on had them engraved but they are the exception.

Cheers
    Gary

?

Damn I never got a good conduct medal. I wonder why? Any body for a pint?
    That was a nice buy sir.

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Nice set of medals! The Airmedal and the WWII Victory Medal are the 1946 style crimp brooch and the Good Conduct and the American Defence Service Medal are the earlier Slot Brooch style.
    It is not common to find engraved Good Conduct medals. In general the only time you see that is when a soldier was killed and the government sent all of his medals to the family. Those would all have been engraved by the government. Obviuosly there were some soldiers who later on had them engraved but they are the exception.

Cheers
    Gary

I never really gave much thought to the fact that these medals might be KIAs. Here are three Good Conducts that are named. The one with the dog tag I'm pretty sure was a KIA since the government sent one tag back to the family. I'll try and do some more research.

Here are my conduct medal pics

Hello guys.
    I just got this ebay lot. I will post more pics when I receive it. This includes two different medal and ribbons.
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 US medals  WW2 US medals  WW2 US medals  WW2 US medals  WW2 US medals