Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI British OBE (Order of the British Empire)

Article about: As in the other related post I was visiting with my Fiance's family and found some interesting things this is one in itself. I have never heard of this award until now. Her Great grandfather

Default WWI British OBE (Order of the British Empire)

As in the other related post I was visiting with my Fiance's family and found some interesting things this is one in itself. I have never heard of this award until now. Her Great grandfather was an inventor and had many patents, this is one -

( Patent US1365869 - ROBERT TEMPLE - Google Patents )

He immensely aided the war effort in WWI and WWII. One of his inventions that I will have to find the original paperwork on was called a "silent Howitzer"
    He was also a dignitary of some sort. Through his work in WWI he was awarded the Order of The British Empire as an Officer 4th grade or MBE (tell me if i messed the order up...)

I would like to know more information on this award, and how common it is and how hard it was to get if anyone can help.
    Here are some pictures-

I was told, later on after the war he was also knighted I will try to find more information!!!

Default Re: WWI British OBE (Order of the British Empire)

Im getting confused since Robert Temple is their family name since I think their up to 5 now... so I dont know if this is the pilots medal or his fathers

It is an 'Order of the British Empire' - Member- first type - as you mentioned,
    although the one pictured is a civil award, going by the plain ribbon.
    Military awards of this medal have a thin pink stripe in the center.

Order of the British Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There may be a citation for it which will say what it was
    he did to earn it.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 09-09-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I think her grandmother has a grouping of papers of his inventions and that citation now finding it will be the hard part....

Citations can be found on CDROM ( or perhaps online ). Advanced collectors
    usually buy them for reasearch, and we may have a few fellows here
    who can find it you.........

Interestingly, and somewhat off topic, in the 1965, The Beatles
    were awarded MBE's.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the info do you know about the number of these awards given and their rarity Ive never heard of one before but that is most likely due to my focus on US and German military items from the WWII era
    And if anyone can find the citation here I would be very grateful

They are not all that common, but unfortunately, my 'Medal Yearbook'
    does not give the number of medals awarded.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I'm trying to associate it with the American equivalence... lol to try to get an Idea of its prestige. After reading online threads this particular medal could have been awarded to civilians or military personnel correct?
    ... I guess the Beatles info means yes

Sorry Steve, but you are wrong.

The medal in question is a pre-1937 issue of the Breast Badge of a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (Civil Division), awarded for service to the state and Commonwealth generally. This is the lowest class of the order (MBE), the letters OBE belonging to the next class up: Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, and after this are CBE (Commander), KBE (Knight Commander) and finally GBE (Knight Grand Cross), the latter two being knighthoods allowing the prefix 'Sir'. The badge pictured was a civilian award.

The order was founded in 1917 owing to the very large demand for honours and awards created by WW1, and has since been awarded for a wide range of valuable work in the social services including entertainment and local government. The Beatles were actually awarded MBEs.

The Medal of the Order of the British Empire (BEM) is a different (although related) award, which does not include membership of the order.

Rob

Her grandmother mentioned the recipient being knighted I do not know if he was latter awarded a higher Medal, or this was just by her mistake / confusion?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast