Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Bronze Star Group

Article about: by CAB Just curious.....Wouldn't the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal qualify for the Bronze Arrowhead? There were amphibious landings in the South Pacific? Thanks & Happy Memorial Day !!!

Default WWII Bronze Star Group

I picked this up along a few other things this past weekend. PFC Joseph P. Cussimano enlisted in the Army July 22nd, 1943 and was assigned to the 24th Infantry Division. During the course of the war Cussimano fought in a number of different places; Hollanidia, Dutch New Guinea, Leyte, Mindoro, Luzon, Mindanao, and the Philippine Islands. On May 11th 1945 2,000 yards west of the City of Davao, Joseph's platoon took unexpected machine gun fire and wounded one of his fellow soldiers. PFC Cussimano opened fire on the enemy position. As the enemy began to falter other men from the platoon rescued the wounded soldier. His bravery was awarded with this beautiful Bronze star. After the war, Joseph Cussimano moved to Mastic Beach Long Island and started a family. He died June 22nd 2009 at the age of 85.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Bronze Star Group   WWII Bronze Star Group  

WWII Bronze Star Group   WWII Bronze Star Group  

Default Re: WWII Bronze Star Group

Wow nice pickup, you would think if there was any family left this would be proudly displayed.

?

Very nice group with provenance.

Nice group. I was wondering about the bronze arrowhead on the Philippine Liberation ribbon. I thought those were only awarded if you jumped from a perfectly good aircraft?

Thanks

Burt

Thanks everyone! Slayer, I know right!? It's a real shame that they let this go. And Burt, if I'm correct, the arrow head signifies any offensive the soldier took part in. For Mr. Cussimano here, it could have been the landings at Luzon or maybe even operation Victor V.

Victor, This is what I found on Wikipedia. I had never researched these before. I have a Euopean African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with this device for a soldier from the 101st who jumped in Normandy. That's why I thought it was only for jumps. I still don't see the Philippine Liberation listed? I wonder if someone else can clarify this or have seen another one with the arrowhead?

Thanks
    Burt

The Arrowhead device is an award device of the United States Army which is issued as an attachment to certain service ribbons. The Arrowhead device is awarded to a member of the U.S. Army who participates in an amphibious assault, a combat parachute drop, a helicopter assault landing, or a combat glider attack.[1]

[edit] CriteriaThe arrowhead device is a one time decoration for each service medal and no more than one arrowhead device may be authorized per service medal. As of 2004, the service medals which are authorized the arrowhead device are as follows:

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal
    European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
    Korean Service Medal
    Vietnam Service Medal
    Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
    Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
    Afghanistan Campaign Medal
    Iraq Campaign Medal
    The arrowhead device is a 1/4 inch bronze replica of a Native American arrowhead. In almost all cases, the arrowhead device is issued with a corresponding campaign service star, which denotes the campaign in which the assault landing was accomplished.[2]

Isnt it always nice to learn something new? I have a question, could a soldier have more than one arrow head device on a medal?

It does not appear so.
    Criteria:The arrowhead device is a one time decoration for each service medal and no more than one arrowhead device may be authorized per service medal.

I'm still curious to seen if perhaps the liberation medal was added to the list of approved ones to add a arrowhead since it was a amphibious assualt.

Thanks

Burt

I would imagine that the soldier put the Arrowhead on his Philippine Liberation medal to signify that it was for that campaign or that he was most proud of that landing or because it was a new award that he misunderstood the directive. Great grouping from a WWII Veteran thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    John

CAB
    ?

Just curious.....Wouldn't the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal qualify for the Bronze Arrowhead? There were amphibious landings in the South Pacific? Thanks & Happy Memorial Day !!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast