Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Purple Heart Group

Article about: Hey everyone, Over the weekend, I acquired a small grouping from the grandson of a WWII veteran. The grouping consists of the veteran's Purple Heart and Good Conduct medal, both named to &qu

Default WWII Purple Heart Group

Hey everyone,

Over the weekend, I acquired a small grouping from the grandson of a WWII veteran. The grouping consists of the veteran's Purple Heart and Good Conduct medal, both named to "Leo Mazurkewicz" with a beautiful period engraving (Sorry for the slight blur, my itouch isn't the greatest quality). It also came with the corresponding ribbon bars and lapel pins, of which I noticed the PH lapel pin was an enamel pin. The presentation case is in excellent shape, albeit the fact tat it looks as though Leo's mass card may have been fastened to it with some kind of glue. In addition was a card from Robert Patterson, which says "It is an honor for me to forward this decoration".

I did a little bit of researching and found that Leo was born on October 29th, 1908 and passed away on June 21st, 1996 and was a resident of South Amboy, New Jersey. I'm having trouble filling in the blank for his service, such as where he was wounded, any battles he participated in, unit, etc and I have contacted his grandson to see if I can get anymore information, in addition to if he has anything left of his grandfather's war time service. Would anyone be able to help fill in the blank?

All opinions are welcome

Alex

WWII Purple Heart GroupWWII Purple Heart GroupWWII Purple Heart Group

Default Re: WWII Purple Heart Group

Very Nice Alex! once again, great find!

What sort of 'grandson' sells those off?

Quote by lithgow View Post

I wish I could answer this question, but sadly, there could be a plethora of reasons...Whatever that reason may be, all I know is that the group is now in the hands of a collector that will display it with the honor that it deserves, instead of thrown in the back of a closet or drawer.

The sort of grandchild i could never be! However, as Alex as said, at least they ended up in the hands of someone who will appreciate them for what they are and wont tamper with them for profit

Quote by Javelin4life View Post
    I wish I could answer this question, but sadly, there could be a plethora of reasons...Whatever that reason may be, all I know is that the group is now in the hands of a collector that display it with the honor that it deserves, instead of thrown in the back of a closet or drawer.
    It's great that this veterans service is respected and appreciated by you(and me) even if the family are not interested! A lovely group of items, Leon.

Very nice named set of medals there. Hope you find more
    items to add to your collection from this Veteran.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I was just thinking the same question.
    I still have all my grandfather ww2 stuff and my Great grandfather ww1 stuff.
    I just can not sell them.
    chris

Ps still a nice addition to a collection.