Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

105MM M14 shell

Article about: Just got this fairly nondescript 105MM shell that was fired in an M-137 Howitzer mounted in an AC-130 gunship. I cannot speak to the specifics of the gun, load data or projectile but am conf

Default 105MM M14 shell

Just got this fairly nondescript 105MM shell that was fired in an M-137 Howitzer mounted in an AC-130 gunship. I cannot speak to the specifics of the gun, load data or projectile but am confident the case was base marked, as it was, for good reason.
    The most interesting aspect is the letter that was inside the hull. A Memorandum For All Personnel from the Dept. of the Air Force. It notes that this type shell, along with the 40MM, 30MM and 25MM shell casings from AC-130 aircraft were henceforth not subject to restrictions against acquiring "War Tropies/Souvenirs" with specifics regarding demilling and certification(s) which included removal of the primer. This particular one has only had the center of the primer drilled out , luckily. The letter is signed by "certifying" EOD technicians on 30DEC06. The letter notes at the bottom that this is for a 105MM #1680, which is "etched" into the base.
    My initial thoughts were I had paid too much, but after finding this little prize inside, it will stay in the collection for a while.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 105MM M14 shell   105MM M14 shell  

105MM M14 shell  

Default Re: 105MM M14 shell

That's a great piece of paper to have along with the brass shell casing !

Good stuff !

Regards, Steve.

escape2u
    ?

I have the same shell and was looking for a value.
    105MM M14 shell105MM M14 shell

Thanks for the help....

escape2u:

Value? $30-$50. Maybe. Not a rare case, by any means. The 105's been around a looooong time. As I mentioned in my original post, I feared I'd paid too much. The "paper" saved me. It was unknown to the seller. I wanted it for the clear headstamp markings and cleanliness. Many of the so-called "range finds" are lacking in legible markings, especially the inked ones.
    Noting your eclectic collection in the second photo, including the 40MM(L60) hulls in the clip, my only advice, for adding value to your 105 is, don't polish it. And a couple or three drops of 3-n-1 oil or RemOil on the primer will slow down the corrossion there.

Regards

Rick

Rocco123
    ?

Hey guys, I also have a 105mm shell casing and I was wondering if and where I could find a replica of the bullet itself so they can be pressed and have a more authentic look. I know I could mill one but I wanted to check any other route. I have the casing on display in my gun room and I just think it would look cool if I had one that looks live.