Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

15.5x106mm round. BRG-15?

Article about: I bought a small ammo collection some years ago, and found this interesting piece between the rest of all the rounds. According to the documentation of the previous owner, it belonged to an

Default 15.5x106mm round. BRG-15?

I bought a small ammo collection some years ago, and found this interesting piece between the rest of all the rounds.

According to the documentation of the previous owner, it belonged to an experimental heavy machine gun made by FN called the BRG-15. But it was shelved in favor of the P90.

I know most people here know more about WWI - WWII ordnance, but where else could i ask? There are no markings on the base. .50 is for size comparison, don't mind the unstruck primer, its an empty round

I would just like some confirmation and maybe if someone knows if these are rare or that many of these are in circulation?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 15.5x106mm round. BRG-15?   15.5x106mm round. BRG-15?  

?

Default Re: 15.5x106mm round. BRG-15?

I will bet you the user zwerge knows about this round. Nice pics

Regards, Lars

?

Here`s some info on it...FN BRG-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...I don`t know if there are many of these rounds in circulation,sometimes many thousands of rounds were made and then surplused off...Pete.
    Last edited by zwerge; 05-18-2012 at 01:32 AM.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

FN started developing the round in 1980 and after trials with various parent cases eventually selected the Hispano 20x110mm case necked down to 15mm. After initial trials the case length was increased to 115mm to produce the 15x115mm.

By about 1983 the calibre had been increased to 15.5mm and the case again shortened. Visually they are quite difficult to tell apart so you need to measure yours to be sure which one you have.

The round was designed to have high AP performance and had a MV of about 1050 metres per second.

In Europe I would describe the regular rounds as reasonably scarce, although some of the early development rounds are rare. Most cartridge dealers will have a couple for sale.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Quote by TonyE View Post
    FN started developing the round in 1980 and after trials with various parent cases eventually selected the Hispano 20x110mm case necked down to 15mm. After initial trials the case length was increased to 115mm to produce the 15x115mm.

By about 1983 the calibre had been increased to 15.5mm and the case again shortened. Visually they are quite difficult to tell apart so you need to measure yours to be sure which one you have.

The round was designed to have high AP performance and had a MV of about 1050 metres per second.

In Europe I would describe the regular rounds as reasonably scarce, although some of the early development rounds are rare. Most cartridge dealers will have a couple for sale.

Regards
    TonyE
    So you can visually confirm that my round is from the BRG? Because i have only seen pictures of the gun itself, but not from the ammunition it uses. The only really special thing i can notice about it is that it has some sort of "plastic drive band".

And yes i have measured the length of the casing, it is 106mm long. I'll take a caliper the measure the bullet itself to be sure.

Thanks to everyone who commented as well, every bit helps!

Greets

?

Yes, that looks like the 15.5x106mm with the black painted AP proj.

Here is a selection of 15.5mm FN rounds from another forum. They all have plastic driving bands.

Target practice (blue)
    Target Practice Tracer (Blue with red tip)
    AP (Black)
    APDS

I should have added that although the original 15mm was based on the 20mm Hispano case, the later 15.5x106 case was based on the Russian KPV case.

Regards
    TonyE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 15.5x106mm round. BRG-15?  
    Last edited by TonyE; 05-19-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/