Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Artillery collectors?

Article about: Anyone build replica artillery pieces. These are pre WWI so if not appropriate I will stop. Here is one. 24 pounder US Coehorn Mortar 5.86" bore.

?

Default Artillery collectors?

Anyone build replica artillery pieces. These are pre WWI so if not appropriate I will stop. Here is one.

24 pounder US Coehorn Mortar 5.86" bore.

Exclamation Re: Artillery collectors?

i was scared itwasnt even ww1 u know what make ww1 version that would be nice

?

Default Re: Artillery collectors?

Here is a a replica WW1 French Taupia mortar. It is an improvied weapon that was made from fired artillery shells or even fired artillery cases. I understand they preferred the German AP shells for barrels. Thsi one is turned from bar stock as it is safer to shoot and an an original shell would be hard to find.

Thumbs up Re: Artillery collectors?

NICE me like it

Tom2
    ?

I once visited South Bend replicas who build artillery pieces. But their prices were higher than I could afford and on the larger replicas, where would I put the thing? Would be fun to try though.

?

Quote by Tom2 View Post
    I once visited South Bend replicas who build artillery pieces. But their prices were higher than I could afford and on the larger replicas, where would I put the thing? Would be fun to try though.

You will figure out a place. Mine are the smaller versions and I built them myself. I look for a good price on a piece of steel and then find a gun that is about the same size and start cutting. SBR has some cannon weighing in tons. The larger Parrot gun comes to mind. One owner said if you do not have a 12 man gun crew, leave it at home. These are about as big as I would be willing to turn.

Here is a replica of a 15th century Burgundian howitzer I built, 3" bore and weighing 250-300 pounds. It shoots the 3" diameter stone shot below. Two of us manage it pretty well. Powder can for scale. I use FG.

Here it is fired with a light load at the pistol range. Still plenty of smoke and noise.
    YouTube - Bugundian

3" diameter Stone projectiles