Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

18lbs, shell head

Article about: Hi, I have had a good afternoon today, my friend turned up and gave my an 18lbs shell head, no fuze but who,s moaning,lol. It,s in pretty good condition and was going to be thrown away with

Default 18lbs, shell head

Hi,
    I have had a good afternoon today, my friend turned up and gave my an 18lbs shell head, no fuze but who,s moaning,lol. It,s in pretty good condition and was going to be thrown away with other stuff so he got it for me, all the milling is on it and the marks ect. Reading JL, EJ 20, 3810, and dated 29.3.17, it has two faint
    orangy red rings left on it, does anyone know what explosive was in it going by the colour rings. I have one 18lbs and a spaire case, so now just one fuze and two are complete.
    Dave.

Default Re: 18lbs, shell head

Hi Dave,

Sounds like it could be a gas shell. I'm not sure, but i seem to remember that red rings on British shells indicated what type of gas was within. Two red rings was non lethal irritant gas like tear gas if i recall, but it would be best to check that out.

Furthermore, i think gas shells had a type of low charge explosive plug that would blow off and allow the gas to escape, leaving the shell intact, rather than exploding entirely, and this sounds to me that is what you have.Still, i'm not completely sure this is fact also, so it would be best to wait and hope someone here like 'Spotter' can give you the precise gen.

Cheers, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi,
    Thanks Ned, good info, i was pleased to get it and lucky i think as it nearly got thrown away
    i didnt think of a gas shell so you are proberbly right, but will ask spotter as we all know he knows his onions on these things. It looks good in the shell case next to my other one, thanks again mate.
    dave.

the two orangy rings will have originally been a more red colour ,it often fades over time ,,they indicate this was a shrapnel projectile
    18 pdr Shrapnel round

Thanks for the clarification Spotter! I was thinking along the wrong lines again!!

In my mind i'd got linked to a shell like this that I found on the web just now. It goes a little way to show why I was confused, but apologies to all anyway!!

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images 18lbs, shell head 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

dont apologise Ned,,you recognised the coloured banding has hazord bands and erred on the side of caution,best to be over cautious instead of not...