Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells

Article about: Purchased 2 37mm Pre WW1 German brass shells for £5 (bargain, ). I am unsure to what they may have been fired from and would really like to know please. Marks on the base are as follows, fro

Default 2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells

Purchased 2 37mm Pre WW1 German brass shells for £5 (bargain, ).

I am unsure to what they may have been fired from and would really like to know please.

Marks on the base are as follows, from top to bottom.

Shell 1 - Crown with M below it, C/97 98, Roman numerals VI, 1904, KARLSRUHE, 127.

Shell 2 - Crown with M below it, PATRONENFABRIK, Roman numberal X, 97, KARLSRUHE, 2.

I am having great difficulty finding a suitable weapon of the period that would have fired such a round, hope someone can help and i will try to get pictures up soon.

Cheers.

Default Re: 2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells

Hope the pictures help, would really like to know the background of what they were fired from if possible.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells   2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells  

2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells  

?

Hi RAFcolumbo,
    see here, etc-Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe 37mm datestamps

Cheers for the link, Had a look but still no info on a particular weapon that it may have been compatible with.

?

I belive the answer has been solved, thanks for all the info from everyone, seems like its the Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon (of the Naval variant) assuming that the marks on the shells donote Navy and would have been fired from the Naval gun.

?

thanks for that axtdn, where do you find all this stuff, i can never seem to get a sausage off the net.

Kristen Linkinhoker
    ?

2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells2 pre WW1 German made 37mm brass shells
    This is a Karlsruhe c 97/98 XI 1903 artillery shell i inherited. I am in love with it. It has been painted most likely with lead paint. it is painted arien and something else i will have to check when i get home to get all the correct info. i feel like it is a quite a unique piece. please let me know if you know how common this piece is. and also in case you havent noticed there is an american bald eagle painted and flag painted on it. it also has date found painted on it. like i said i will have to look more into it. but it is a very amazing piece of history in my opinion.