Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

20mm Hispano HE Round

Article about: Hello folks. Something I've wanted to add to the collection for a while. I already had a couple of empty shells, but no complete rounds. This is a 20x110mm Hispano round. High explosive vari

Default 20mm Hispano HE Round

Hello folks.

Something I've wanted to add to the collection for a while. I already had a couple of empty shells, but no complete rounds.

This is a 20x110mm Hispano round. High explosive variant, manufactured by Dominion Arsenal in Quebec, Canada. Both case and projectile have unfortunately been the victim of some overenthusiastic polishing, but this does not hurt the overall appearance too badly. The projectile is unfired, as indicated by the smooth drive band, and fits snugly into the case with no wobble.

Not a 'big' purchase, or an overly impressive piece of ordnance, but a nice find. These don't come up on the UK market too often. The German equivalent is far more prevalent, as a certain other member here already knows!

20mm Hispano HE Round20mm Hispano HE Round20mm Hispano HE Round20mm Hispano HE Round

Regards, B.B.

?

Very nice mate! Shame about the polishing ( did the 6 pounder AP come from the same collection i wonder?)

My 20X138B rounds aren’t a great comparison to this 20X110mm round. Infact the Germans didn’t really have a direct equivalent. I do have a 20X82MM round which was used on German aircraft however!
    Here is the German example next to the only hispano casing in my collection. Funnily enough this was a local find inside of a shops till since the end of the war!
    20mm Hispano HE Round20mm Hispano HE Round
    I will need to get my own example however. I cant be mr twenty mill without a complete one of these!

Great buy overall mate! Now you just need all the other variations.....

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Very nice mate! Shame about the polishing ( did the 6 pounder AP come from the same collection i wonder?)

My 20X138B rounds aren’t a great comparison to this 20X110mm round. Infact the Germans didn’t really have a direct equivalent. I do have a 20X82MM round which was used on German aircraft however!
    Here is the German example next to the only hispano casing in my collection. Funnily enough this was a local find inside of a shops till since the end of the war!

I will need to get my own example however. I cant be mr twenty mill without a complete one of these!

Great buy overall mate! Now you just need all the other variations.....
    It's very possible it came from the same collection as the 6Pdr round. They did have another one of these listed - an armour piercing variant - but it sold long before I had a chance to buy it. I'm sure they're not as uncommon as they seem to be. Just not often seen on the online marketplace.

I wonder how that casing ended up in the till? One of those stories that will never be answered. I have a near-identical one, dated 1944 rather than 1942. It was given to me by my great grandmother before she passed. They were often salvaged and used as candle holders. The only other one I have is a relic.

Headstamp of the former:

20mm Hispano HE Round

Regards, B.B.