Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

21000 lb bomb

Article about: Yesterday the USAF dropped a massive 21,000 lb bomb on a network of tunnels and caves ISIS occupied. It's the 1st of its kind to have been used, and is the largest piece of ordinance short o

Quote by watchdog View Post
    do please feel free to expand and give your reasoned opinion!
    :d

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get the popcorn out..JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	1070013
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    :d

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get the popcorn out..JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	1070013

Spot on Ned mate, It's amazing how insightful a couple of cans of "wifebeater" can make someone before he steps outside and the "cold air sniper" gets him., at which point he usually ends up in an "interview without coffee"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

PRE
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    It was from The New York Times Magazine, Lost at Tora Bora, Sept. 11,2005 by Mary Ann Weaver.

I tried to link it, but I'm not that computer savvy.
    CBH and Big Ned,
    Thanks for the link and sorry I haven't responded sooner. According to the article, the CIA financed the construction of the complexes, but the physical construction was done by UBL's family-owned Bin Laden Group. The accounts I read were focused on the 2001 hunt conducted in the area by CAG and the SBS.

Pat

Different uses between the MOAB and the Grand Slam (Designed by Barnes Wallace who also designed the Wellington & the bouncing bombs including Hi-Ball which were delivered by Mosquitoes same bouncing principle).
    The MOAB carries more explosive by ratio than the Grand Slam as it is not designed for deep penetration of the earth but kills by pressure waves and physical destruction of the area and its soft targets.
    As in the case of the Grand Slam its purpose was to penetrate deep into the earth and form a camoflette void so the stucture would collapse as in the Bielefeld Viaduct even the near miss was good enough for the job, the Lancaster being the only bomber capable of carrying this bomb and the other Tall Boy in WWII.

The interesting thing on the Grand Slam the rear fins are offset by 5 degrees so the further the bomb falls the faster it will spin which aids in stability when they first dropped the bomb in tests they placed a camera right in the middle of the aiming mark as they were pretty sure the thing would not hit it.
    With other cameras in the outfield filming by way of a mirror they dropped the test bomb which duly landed yep fair smack on the camera in the middle of the target the Grand Slams were also dropped on the U-Boat pens at Bremmen I think.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345