Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

303 mk vi

Article about: I am away tomorrow to the Great War Forum Conference in Birmingham for the weekend, but when I get back I will post some more interesting Australian .303 rounds. Regards TonyE

4md
    ?

Default 303 mk vi

gday i have owned and shot lee enfields using commercial ammunition but have never had any military ammo
    I picked these clips up at the local militaria show on the weekend.
    The mk VI is australian made as is most of the mk VII.
    Dummy rounds are aussie as well, 1926 dated
    any comments or info welcome
    regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 303 mk vi   303 mk vi  

303 mk vi   303 mk vi  

303 mk vi   303 mk vi  

?

Default Re: 303 Mark VI

CAC at Foorscray introduced the Mark VI in 1904 following British adoption and were undated until May 1906, which is actually slightly before the British adopted dated headstamps in 1907. Your undated Mark VI (CAC C VI) may be one of these early rounds or may be from CAC New Zealand who did not date their Mark VI until 1907/8.

CAC Foorscray made dated Mark VI from May 1906 until the changeover to Mark VII in February 1918.

I am sure you know, but for those who might not, the Australian codes on the other rounds are:

MF - Small Arms Ammunition Factory No.1 Footscray
    MG - Small Arms Ammunition Factory No.2 Footscray
    MH - Small Arms Ammunition Factory No.3 Hendon
    MJ - Small Arms Ammunition Factory No.4 Hendon
    MQ - Small Arms Ammunition Factory No.5 & 6 Rocklea
    MS - Salisbury Explosives Factory
    MW - Small Arms Ammunition Factory No.7 Welshpool

The Australian Drill D Mark VI are probably quite common in Australia but are less so here in the UK for obvious reasons.

A nice few rounds.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

4md
    ?

Default Re: 303 mk vi

Cheers Tony, Thanks for the info, I didnt know about the undated CAC. I have a few more ww2 M stamped aussie shells, so i have most of those except the MS
    I forgot to say there is two post war 50's rounds in there as well, a R^L (woolwich arsenal) and a FN (belgian i think?)
    regards Paul

?

Quote by 4md View Post
    Cheers Tony, Thanks for the info, I didnt know about the undated CAC. I have a few more ww2 M stamped aussie shells, so i have most of those except the MS
    I forgot to say there is two post war 50's rounds in there as well, a R^L (woolwich arsenal) and a FN (belgian i think?)
    regards Paul
    Yes, you are correct on the ID of the RL and FN rounds.

The Salisbury (MS) rounds are hard to find, apparently even in Oz. Salisbury was not an SAA factory and only made one batch of .303 Tracer G Mark II.
    It failed proof and was ordered destroyed, but some must have escaped.

It took me a long time to find the one in my collection.

Regards
    TonyE

4md
    ?

I will keep my eyes open for a MS i really want one now, considering its the closest factory to where i live and the rarest

?

In that case I had better give you the details of a couple of others.

When Footscray No.2 first opened in 1940, the original factory briefly used "MF1" and No.2 used "MF2" as headstamps, before reverting to the original "MF" and the new "MG" codes.

These were only used for a couple of months in 1940 and are equally hard to find.

REgards
    TonY

4md
    ?

i will keep my eyes peeled now, 303's were a very common rifle here.Who knows what the old farmers or shooters have stashed away

Any old stuff is getting rare these days-it's been a long time since the end of the Second World War and these days farmers use much more modern weapons in calibres that are cheaper and far more available than decent .303 ammo-reasonable SMLEs are getting hard to find-even the War Stocks were sold off 30 years ago now, most to the US.

4md
    ?

i have a couple of leads i will keep you posted

Nice .303s, Paul.
    Regards, Thanos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast