Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

.303 MK7 special for RAF

Article about: G day, I recently picked up this .303 carton thinking they were British manufactured because of the "special for RAF" but they are actually Australian made with the head stamp MF 1

4md
    ?

Default .303 MK7 special for RAF

G day, I recently picked up this .303 carton thinking they were British manufactured because of the "special for RAF" but they are actually Australian made with the head stamp MF 1940 VII( SAAF Footscray). There is also a 'MF' on the tag which i didnt see when I got them.

So I have a couple of questions
    Is this a special order that SAAF Footscray delivered to the RAF at the height of the battle of britain to help out in a desperate time ( the date on the tag is August 1940)?
    Or is all airforce ammo marked this way? you would think Australian ammo would be marked RAAF?

Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture .303 MK7 special for RAF   .303 MK7 special for RAF  

?

A Friend of mine bought a box of RAF RCAF bullets, just the projectiles, no brass, I could not understand why.
    A Month later we went to the range with a Bren, he had loaded a few of these rounds..they had blue heads, He put a couple in the Bren mag.

To make a long story short, when one of those blue headed rounds can out, it blew a 2 inch hole in a 1/2 inch boiler plate that was a target...not only that, the inpact shattered the 2 chains that were welded to it to hold it up.

I guess he knew what they were when he bought the box...I found out on the range!!!!

Dean O
    Canada

Is it the misnomered "De Wilde" incendary ammo? I know that the RAF switched to using it during or just before the BoB?? It was considered as a great aid in showing pilots that they were hitting the enemy as it only exploded on impact and was not a tracer per se, and was considered Top Secret at the time.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

4md
    ?

I think they are just Ball rounds the Annulus looks purple and there is no colour on the projectiles. I will have another look purple and blue are very close. I thought the box and headstamp would be marked if they were incendary?

Quote by 4md View Post
    I think they are just Ball rounds the Annulus looks purple and there is no colour on the projectiles. I will have another look purple and blue are very close. I thought the box and headstamp would be marked if they were incendary?
    You are correct they are Ball rounds, Mk VII. Incendiary rounds are marked as such on the box and as been pointed out sometimes have a blue painted tip. Headstamps were B VII or B VIIz with a Blue annulus.