Become our sponsor and display your banner here

6 Pr 7 Cwt A/T round - a 'Beltring' Bargain.....

Article about: Another example of, if you look long and hard enough, collecting militaria needn't require a bottomless bank balance. I went to Beltring this year with just one item on my mental 'wants list

Arrow 6 Pr 7 Cwt A/T round - a 'Beltring' Bargain.....

Another example of, if you look long and hard enough, collecting militaria needn't require a bottomless bank balance.

I went to Beltring this year with just one item on my mental 'wants list' ; a 6 Pr Anti Tank round. These aren't easy to find and can be quite expensive - but I 'needed' one to complete my Normandy anti-tank shell collection (after all, at least one 6-pounder played a courageous part in the Wittmann action at Villers-Bocage..)

On arrival, I quickly spotted a complete round on one of the stalls but on upending it, it was dated '1955' so didn't even ask the price.

Relics At The Front had a nice empty shellcase found in Normandy, dated 1943 and priced at 45. I didn't want to buy this, only to find a complete round somewhere else......but I couldn't find any ( and Beltring was good for shells this year ). I almost overlooked one stall which had a pile of very rusty US 57mm solid shot shells, unfired and supposedly shipped in bulk to the UK under Lend Lease. Well, I was buying the item, not the story, and selected the best one I could find : 30. Rushed back to the Relics stall - yes ! it was still there and a deal was struck at 40.

So - an overnight soak in Deox-C plus a good rub over with a stiff nylon brush brought the projectile up very nicely and revealed a '1942' date on the clean driving band. Marrying up shell and case was quite hard work - a very tight fit. Some judicious light filing plus several whacks with a rubber mallet - and the result is very pleasing indeed. I was going to repaint the shell but there's enough original gloss black remaining to leave 'as is'.

It's been worth the wait and I think is a great-looking addition to my collection - at 70 all-in.........

6 Pr 7 Cwt A/T round - a 'Beltring' Bargain.....

...always nice when a plan comes together - well done.

...tell me, is that an early "TIGHE" ruler...the one with the makers mark on the front...or is it post-1982?

Smile

It's a Chinese fake......

4md
    ?

Nice! 6 pounder one of my favorites

Lightbulb

I'm glad a few people have liked this thread. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places but a decent 6-pr has been very elusive( oddly, German shells seem much easier to find ). Anyhow, the result is that this is a very satisfying addition to my collection.

( Of course, I'll probably find half-a-dozen mint examples for 50 each at Fairs next year - but that's collecting ! )

4md
    ?

Unfired 6 pounder projectiles are hard to come by here as well, as are the cases. I have managed to scrape together a small collection over the years but only AP rounds, still after the elusive HE, APDS and APC. I do have a nice APDS resin replica but would love the original. picked a a couple of awesome ammo boxes as well . I Love the British/ Commonwealth Anti tank stuff and 6 pounders are right up there, probably only the 17 pounder and 77mm comet are more desirable in my books.