Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

8,8 cm FlaK cartridge case markings

Article about: I bought a very nice 8,8 cm FlaK cartridge case today and I would like to know what some of the markings indicate. The markings on the base of the cartridge case are the following: 13 P WaA4

Default 8,8 cm FlaK cartridge case markings

I bought a very nice 8,8 cm FlaK cartridge case today and I would like to know what some of the markings indicate.

The markings on the base of the cartridge case are the following:

P
    WaA406

And these are the markings on the primer:

P M

From the information I have found I know that it was manufactured by Polte in Magdeburg and it is very likely that it was used by the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War. I believe the "6347" marking is only present in early examples of this piece and the primer also seems to be an early type. I would like to know what the "6347" and "13" markings indicate and if the "P M" marking on the primer means "Polte Magdeburg" as I believe.

Some pictures:

8,8 cm FlaK cartridge case markings8,8 cm FlaK cartridge case markings8,8 cm FlaK cartridge case markings

?

The P does stand for polte madgeburg
    The 13 stands for the batch of casings it was made with
    6347 was the digit name for the 88mm pre war.

The primer has confused me. Looks almost Italian the font or maybe spanish. Perhaps the casing was refurbished later on after 1937?

Yes, the primer seems to be spanish, I have some spanish Mauser ammunition that uses a very similar font. It wouldn't be strange if it doesn't belong to the cartridge case at all since someone put a piece of a 90mm rocket for the C90 launcher as the projectile and used it as a lamp. At least I was able to get it for a good price for that reason.

?

I would be chuffed. A 88mm casing that isn’t a finnish or norweigan repaint would be cool.

Now the hard part. Finding a projectile!

Nice shell!

The 6347 is the design number for the shell case and indicates it is made of brass.

?

Well that’s something new for me!