Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID

Article about: Hi all. I ahve recently come across a piece of a shell , the bace or detonator housing , Im a bit confused cause i cant fut my finger on it.. the markings sugest its a 8.8cm KWK 43 . the rea

NickVorster
    ?

Default 8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID

Hi all.

I ahve recently come across a piece of a shell , the bace or detonator housing , Im a bit confused cause i cant fut my finger on it..

the markings sugest its a 8.8cm KWK 43 . the reaserch that is been able to do sugests it might be the same munition fireed from the beautiful Tiger .

Can any any help please? Any comments or opinions are mose valuble and welcome.

thanks
    Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID  

Default Re: 8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID

Yes, those are the markings for a king tiger round.

KwK43 on left

NickVorster
    ?

Thanks for the feedback peter,

Peter,

You have to change the primer with a C/22st. The one in your case is a C/12na (St), used in artillery type gun cases.

Quote by thekees View Post
    Peter,

You have to change the primer with a C/22st. The one in your case is a C/12na (St), used in artillery type gun cases.
    Yes, you are correct. These pictures were taken when I first got the round and I did not have the correct primer to install. The stituation has since been corrected.

I like these tiger rounds, here a few in my collection:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID   8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID  

8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID  

The C22 Primer is Electric and also used on the Tiger MkI (Flak18). One thing to keep in mind though ...about 9 years ago about 100 of these Primers turned up NOS. The group was broken up and sold off everywhere ...I think I saw some on Ebay and even Manions had groupings of 4 and 5 of them. If someone is a "purist" and looking to buy an original Tiger round , compare the condition of the Round with the Primer to be sure they were originally a set and not just put together. Those C22's they found were in brand new condition so it is possible to ID them quickly.

Yes you're right. Collecting German ordnance is a minefield, full of traps.
    There are a lot of new like 8,8 FLAK cases on the marked, they came from Norway, and are original. Put in a new-like primer, and you have a Tiger-1 round. BTW Peter, that is a hell of a nice Ktigerround you have there!

Look at the date of this round, manufactured half 1945! one of the latest i guess.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID  

Ohh Yes ..They are out to make Money . There are also a lot of Flak 41's that came out of Norway whis a new adaptor ring screwed in and the wrong Fuze attached ..just so they could sell them.
    In a way I'm upset that I didn't buy some of those C/22's ...they were around $25 each at first. oh well

?

Not to be a downer, but do bear in mind that the KwK43 was mounted in a number of vehicles in addition to the Königstiger- the Hornisse/ Nashorn, Ferdinand/ Elefant, Jagdpanther, and even just as the Pak43, so it's definitely not a Königstiger round specifically...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast