Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

81MM French mortar round

Article about: Once again a metal detectorist has discovered a mortar bomb on a beach here in Jersey. It was called in and our bomb disposal officer attended the scene. The mortar was a French 81mm (24/31

Default 81MM French mortar round

Once again a metal detectorist has discovered a mortar bomb on a beach here in Jersey. It was called in and our bomb disposal officer attended the scene. The mortar was a French 81mm (24/31 Modp.r. 1916.... I think). A charge was attached to the bomb and it was safely detonated. The tail fin and nose fuse were found in the bottom of the crater. It just goes to show you can never tell whats under your feet. In all cases if you find something that might be ordnance call the Police who will call out the BDO, don't go taking it home.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 81MM French mortar round   81MM French mortar round  

81MM French mortar round   81MM French mortar round  

81MM French mortar round   81MM French mortar round  

81MM French mortar round  

?

Just curious, When you find and report such items, Do they at least give you the pleasure of watching the detonation of these ordnance rounds you keep finding or do they call when all the fun is done??

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phil,
    When items are reported, they are "visited" as soon as possible and often within half an hour of being reported (Jersey is only 9 miles by 5). The suspect item is inspected and assessed and then according to where its found.... on the beach it will be destroyed there and then. If its a large item and in the wrong place then further plans have to be made. Those who find the objects sometimes watch others are not too bothered. I help out when I can and find it totally fascinating and love to pick up the scrapnel that is left over.
    Its most times down to the interest the finder has in seeing it go boom I would say.
    D