Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An american EOD guy here, stationed in Germany...A few brass cartridge questions..

Article about: Hey guys, Well, to start this off, we were called out not too long ago to destroy a bunker in Grafenwoehr (where I'm stationed as EOD). History says that back in the day a fake Maginot line

sk82712
    ?

Default An american EOD guy here, stationed in Germany...A few brass cartridge questions..

Hey guys,

Well, to start this off, we were called out not too long ago to destroy a bunker in Grafenwoehr (where I'm stationed as EOD). History says that back in the day a fake Maginot line was built through the center of the impact area, but when we took over the base in 1946, the engineers demo-ed all of the bunkers.

The bunker we got called out to had TNT laying all over the floor with US markings. Some of it was burned, either it low ordered and the engineers said, screw it, or they didn't realize it and never went to check the shot. Anyway, while exploring the bunker, I found two rounds that look to be around 7.62. The head stamps are:

38 P207 S* 3
    38 P207 S* 5

Any idea what they are from? They are in amazing condition. I'm assuming 38 is the year they were produced? Also blew a few 88mm's earlier in that week, and more us 105 heps than I could count. Gotta love forestmiesters.

Pics of the bunker to follow if requested, gotta find my flash reader first....

-Adam

?

Default Re: An american EOD guy here, stationed in Germany...A few brass cartridge questions..

Hi,P207 was headstamp for Metallwerk Odertal GmbH Germany for 1938,later HS would have been bne. So they are 7.92x57 mm.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Default Re: An american EOD guy here, stationed in Germany...A few brass cartridge questions..

we would LOVE to see the bunker pics !!!!

sk82712
    ?

Despite having over 10k invested in camera equipment, it's still tough to take a picture in a completely dark bunker at 6am. This is the only shot I have that is in focus from inside the bunker. The best we were able to translate, the writing says something along the lines of "generator room, keep ventilated". (The door was blown off it's hinges presumably from the TNT the engineers set that actually went.)

here is a shot from outside the bunker, looking into impact area A as the sun is rising (sorry for the high ISO, but it was the only way i was making a decent exposure):

-Adam

That picture just makes me wonder whats further inside that bunker and good luck with your work too

Thanks

Danny

Reg
    ?

Interesting pics and finds, thanks Adam.

Reg

?

hello Adam welcome to the forum!
    Keep us updated with your finds
    zeller

sk82712
    ?

Quote by Reg View Post
    Interesting pics and finds, thanks Adam.

Reg
    We are doing a tour of the impact area around Christmas time, when the ranges are shut down with one of the German rangemeisters who has been here for 35+ years. Going to see all the little unknown hidden things in our impact area...even though we work it every day... I'll be SURE to post pictures for that one. I'm really tempted to geotag everything with my GPS too.

-Adam

Hey sk82712 and welcome to the forum !

The cartridges you found are all German issue. The stamps are .......

38 = 1938 (year of manufacture)
    p207 = Manufacturer (zwerge got it right in his post)
    S* = Brass case
    3 and 5 = Batch numbers

Take a look at my sticky thread here.....

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ordin...adstamps-5718/

.......to see examples of German headstamps on standard ammo. They were used in most of the German small arms during WW2 including the Kar98 and mg42/34. Chances are, in a bunker they were fired by the latter

Nice finds mate Keeps us posted on anything else you come across

Cheers

Steve T

Exclamation Re: An american EOD guy here, stationed in Germany...A few brass cartridge questions..

You ever find any dud fired 8.8cm rounds? I know you have to blow them in place... but I would love a fired one for my collection....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast