Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Is this an ammo crate?

Article about: I picked this up at an antiques place the other day. At the time I bought it just because I liked the look of it (I was not thinking ex military at this time). However, once home the more I

Default Is this an ammo crate?

I picked this up at an antiques place the other day. At the time I bought it just because I liked the look of it (I was not thinking ex military at this time). However, once home the more I looked at it the more I thought it resembles an ammunition crate of some kind. I could be barking up the wrong tree here and looking on the internet I have found nothing that resembles the locking device. The closest is a ww1 german ammo crate. If anyone has any opinions it would be appreciated. It is not in the best condition but I am not too bothered. There are no markings only holes where carrying handles possibly fitted.

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an ammo crate?   Is this an ammo crate?  

Is this an ammo crate?   Is this an ammo crate?  

Default Re: Is this an ammo crate?

Have you had a really REALLY good check over the whole thing for any markings ? It might even be worthwhile investing in a magnifying glass as I have found many a previously un-noticed mark on some of my relics using one.

It has the right feel for an ammo crate.....but I am afraid I can't ID it positively. I have found many relic ammo crate clasps and nuts/wingnuts and none resemble yours. This would suggest to me it is more likely to be European rather than British/American.

Hope that helps.

Steve T

Thanks for your input. It does have the feel of an ammo box. I have had a good look for markings but I will invest with a magnifying glass and see if I can find anything.
    I imagine that the markings (if any)may just have worn off through wear and tear. I'll carry on looking at other possibles.

Its a British Box for either the Vickers K magazines or more likely the Bren 100Round drum mags with the internals removed. You can see the holes on the ends where there were extra blocks of wood to hold the rope carry handles in place.

Great stuff thank you very much bobby.

Just remembered there's a picture of one of these on this forum

Here's the link.

Bren Gun 100 Round Mag Crate

The clasps are identical

Nice spot M3

Steve T

Thanks just found this myself. I think mines in a bit of a poor condition. Cost me £20 quid. I hope I did not pay too much. I originaly bought it to stick wood in for the log burner!!