Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

ammo and grenades

Article about: The W 17 was made by Winchester Repeating Arms company, , New Haven, Conneticut, USA. They made nitro-cellulose loaded 303's from 1914-1917 for military contracts. The 17 obviously indicates

Default Re: ammo and grenades

The W 17 was made by Winchester Repeating Arms company, , New Haven, Conneticut, USA. They made nitro-cellulose loaded 303's from 1914-1917 for military contracts. The 17 obviously indicates 1917.

The other headstamp is Kynoch (ICI), Witton, Birmingham. 1940 is the manufacture date and the WI indicates an armour piercing round. Whilst yours is WW2 dated, in WW1, Kynoch produced over 2,700,000,000 303 rounds !!!

Are you sure the one with the clip still attached is a 303 ? Does it have the same rim as the one marked K1940 ? It looks on your photo as though it is a rimless round and therefore not a 303.

Hope that's of help

Cheers

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Are you sure the one with the clip still attached is a 303 ? Does it have the same rim as the one marked K1940 ? It looks on your photo as though it is a rimless round and therefore not a 303.
    No; I think it's a 8mm Mauser round, like Zwerge said.
    Here is a photo:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ammo and grenades   ammo and grenades  

?

Hi, measure the length of the cartridge case,if it is 57mm then it is a 7.92x57mm mauser round. ( 8mm )
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

The cartridge case measures 53mm in length, the cartridge case with the tip measures 77mm in length. Should I try to break the clip off, to find any stamps?

?

Quote by Ingrid Patrouille View Post
    The cartridge case measures 53mm in length, the cartridge case with the tip measures 77mm in length. Should I try to break the clip off, to find any stamps?
    I thought the neck looked a bit short, it is either a 7.65x53mm Argentine or a 7.5x54mm French cartridge,they are very similar in size and appearence.If you could find a HS that would help.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    I thought the neck looked a bit short, it is either a 7.65x53mm Argentine or a 7.5x54mm French cartridge,they are very similar in size and appearence.If you could find a HS that would help.
    Don't think it is 7.5x54mm, as they would be pointed bullets. Think you would be correct with 7.65x53mm Belgian Mause, Dimensions would match up too, case length 53.6mm with total length 76mm

Here are some more photos of the cartridge and 'part of a mine', I think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ammo and grenades   ammo and grenades  

ammo and grenades   ammo and grenades  

ammo and grenades  

?

Here is a pic of some very similar cartridges to compare,from left to right,7.65x53 round nose Argentine/Belgian,7.65x53 spitzer point Arg./Belg. 7.5x54 French,and 7.92x57 German mauser round nose.

JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2