Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Any ideas as to what this "base" is for?

Article about: struggling with this one gents. any ideas on this, the NSN 1315-99-967-0108 comes back as "Base" but for what?? any help greatly appreciated

Default Any ideas as to what this "base" is for?

struggling with this one gents.
    any ideas on this, the NSN 1315-99-967-0108 comes back as "Base" but for what??

any help greatly appreciated

Any ideas as to what this "base" is for?Any ideas as to what this "base" is for?Any ideas as to what this "base" is for?Any ideas as to what this "base" is for?Any ideas as to what this "base" is for?Any ideas as to what this "base" is for?

?

I'm finding the same thing "Base".
    It says that its made by DGS&E TIG IRC

Part # RW506
    Brand:L&S BearingPart Number(s):RW506ProductName:Ball bearing

I couldn't find more on that one either.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Well, I must say it looks kind of familiar for some reason but I really can't say what it is.

However, this NSN (NATO Stock Number) is very much post war and the system is currently in use.

The 99 in the number tells that this is a British item, the first four digits tell which part of the COSA (Catalogue of Stores and Ammunition) it belongs in and the last seven digits refer to the item itself. What is missing and would only appear on the packaging or documentation is a two letter code to tell the general area of stores eg; CE for ceremonial equipment.

I know this isn't much help but if we have a member currently serving in UK Forces within a "Q" related employment group they should be able to answer this.

I would love to know, likely it is just a machine part from nothing inspirational such as a bearing cap etc but the curiosity is picqued by not knowing!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-05-2017 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I had my supply Marine at work type those numbers in the Defense Logistics and also checked the NSN on the Navy side and all he get is "Part Unavailable"

Maybe like Mark suggested someone on that side of the pond might have better luck.

Looks like your going to have to let the curiosity run wild a little longer Mark.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks for your time and help guys.

would the items around it in the list make any suggestion as to the product itself, or am i reading too much into the numbering system?
    I mean the numbers either side of it in the list, as going by the numbers, it appears to be something to do with 84mm rounds, in particular a drill round??:

1315-99-966-9475 ROUND,84 MILLIMETRE
    1315-99-966-9476 ROUND,84 MILLIMETRE
    1315-99-966-9477 ROUND,84 MILLIMETRE
    1315-99-967-0090 AMMUNITION PALLETIZ
    1315-99-967-0107 DRILL ROUND,84 MILL
    1315-99-967-0108 BASE
    1315-99-967-0109 NYLON PLUG
    1315-99-967-0120 SHELL AND PROPELLIN
    1315-99-967-0130 INSTRUCTIONAL SHOT,
    1315-99-967-0131 INSTRUCTIONAL SHOT,

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    Thanks for your time and help guys.

would the items around it in the list make any suggestion as to the product itself, or am i reading too much into the numbering system?
    I mean the numbers either side of it in the list, as going by the numbers, it appears to be something to do with 84mm rounds, in particular a drill round??:

1315-99-966-9475 ROUND,84 MILLIMETRE
    1315-99-966-9476 ROUND,84 MILLIMETRE
    1315-99-966-9477 ROUND,84 MILLIMETRE
    1315-99-967-0090 AMMUNITION PALLETIZ
    1315-99-967-0107 DRILL ROUND,84 MILL
    1315-99-967-0108 BASE
    1315-99-967-0109 NYLON PLUG
    1315-99-967-0120 SHELL AND PROPELLIN
    1315-99-967-0130 INSTRUCTIONAL SHOT,
    1315-99-967-0131 INSTRUCTIONAL SHOT,
    Spooky,

You may not believe this but my first thought when I saw your initial image was "Carl Gustav 84mm At Tk Wpn, a recoiless crew served (2) infantry weapon I know from my youth (a right pigs ba****d to handle and to fire).

The base of the rounds had a slot in the rim that married up with a protrusion inside the tube when the venturi was opened to load it which ensured that the primer cap in the side (hole seen in your piece) lined up with the firing pin. However, the weapon being recoilless by definition meant that there was a "back blast" through the venturi meaning in turn of course that the round did not have a solid metal base. There were sub- calibre (loaded and re-loaded with a normal ball catridge) and training TPTP rounds (one time use discharging a 20mm projectile) as well as inert drill rounds but I don't recall those having a flat solid base either but it seems that this does relate to some kind of a "Charlie G" traing item.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

PS This is the sub-calibre round;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4v1_byHetI

PPS Just checked with an old army mate and his memory seems better than mine. He reckons the drill round which was totally inert did have a solid flat base whereas the other training rounds did not.

Should have gone with my first reaction eh?
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-06-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add info
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post

PPS Just checked with an old army mate and his memory seems better than mine. He reckons the drill round which was totally inert did have a solid flat base whereas the other training rounds did not.

Should have gone with my first reaction eh?
    Very sorry for my delayed reply and thanks.
    Very helpful information thank you very much for taking the time, it is greatly appreciated

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    Very sorry for my delayed reply and thanks.
    Very helpful information thank you very much for taking the time, it is greatly appreciated
    You are most welcome, it's a pity I didn't recall it immediately. The difference between my recollection and that of my old mate is that he was actually employed as a platoon A/Tk bloke whereas I just did the training on the weapon and learned enough to hate the sight of it yet he learned to love it like only a parent could

Plus of course we never would have seen the item on it's own, it would only ever appear to us as part of the complete drill round!

Regards

Mark