Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Any info on this 20mm AP bullet

Article about: Hi all, I received this bullet from my father eons ago, he brought it back after he did his service for the SADF on the Angolan border. I haven't been able to find any other pictures of this

Default Any info on this 20mm AP bullet

Hi all, I received this bullet from my father eons ago, he brought it back after he did his service for the SADF on the Angolan border. I haven't been able to find any other pictures of this bullet besides the pics provided; markings read: A 81 AF. Iv seen quite a few 20mm AP rounds that look extremely similar to mine in the overall shape but i still have yet to find a pic of this bullet in an original cartridge. Any info (pics, links or any knowledge) will be greatly appreciated.

-Dylan

Any info on this 20mm AP bulletAny info on this 20mm AP bulletAny info on this 20mm AP bulletAny info on this 20mm AP bullet

Default Re: Any info on this 20mm AP bullet

Just a quick update, I was speaking to a fellow collector and he suggested it might be a 20mm DU round, but both of us aren't completely sure. Can anyone confirm this or help clear things up.

?

The "A81" marking suggests it was made by Armscorp in 1981. Other than that I cannot add much. The core looks like a regular tungsten penetrator but hard to tell from just a picture.

Could it be for the SA anti-material rifle chambered for the 20mm MG151 round?

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Phew well that's a relief TonyE I've been playing with this bullet for years, good to know nothing funky is going to start growing out of my hands :P . As for the rifle, my dad says the ones they used back in Angola look extremely similar just a little less modern and were mounted but im sure its the same rifle just an older version. Thanks very much for the info, now i can start tracking down a cartridge for the bullet.

-Dylan

?

Sometimes it helps to just do a regular internet search using the markings on things- I'm surprised how often I find the answer with what seem to be just unintelligible strings of numbers and letters...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...