Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

AZ23 has explosive inside?

Article about: Hello, I bought an AZ23 (Aufschlagzünder) of the Wehrmacht. Do these detonators have an explosive charge or explosives in them? Or jus I soak the time completely in oil? I do not want that t

Default AZ23 has explosive inside?

Hello, I bought an AZ23 (Aufschlagzünder) of the Wehrmacht.
    Do these detonators have an explosive charge or explosives in them?
    Or jus I soak the time completely in oil? I do not want that to ignite anything.

Thank you

mjw
    ?

Especially yourself!

I think its an impact type fuze so doesn't contain explosive but when it hits the target the nose sets off the primer in the warhead. Soaking in oil won't hurt either. Pictures might help to confirm what you have too.

?

The only explosive i think i can confirm in the fuze is a detonator pellet that is struck by the needle pellet after impact.

“On impact - the needle is forced on to the detonator by direct action. On graze the detonator pellet is carried forward on to the needle. The flash from the detonater passes either through the the delay channel or the central channel, according to the setting of the fuze, to the magazine and thence to the detonator and exploder in the shell.

That being said this is for the 105mm onwards AZ23 . There are a few different variations of it.
    As blackcat said pictures are needed.

Edit. I think the detonator pellet might just be an electrical one. So no hazardous material is present.
    Last edited by Jb4046; 01-10-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: New info

It is an AZ23 with delay.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AZ23 has explosive inside?  

Fuze KL AZ23 (V0.15) Has an Igniferous Detonator and a Magazine containing 53 Grains of Pressed Gunpowder. If it is live then do not mess with it and dispose of it via the authorities. Remember when fired these super quick / delay fuzes have all their safety restraints removed so are very hazardous. Oh and yes I've seen someone loose fingers through less than 53 Grains of GP!

?

It might have more pressed gunpowder then that.

You stated its a KL(klein) AZ23. The one in this thread is for 105mm and onwards for artillery! The klein one was used for the 75mm kwk40/42 HE rounds if I remember.