Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bomb parts?

Article about: Hi, I've found these 3 parts last week. I found those parts all near each other so I think they might be of the same projectile. That's why I post it in 1 forumthread. I gave the objects nam

Default Bomb parts?

Hi,

I've found these 3 parts last week. I found those parts all near each other so I think they might be of the same projectile. That's why I post it in 1 forumthread.
    I gave the objects names: A, B and C:

A: 3,3 cm diameter on the bottom, 1,1 cm at the top hole. Height: 1,7 cm. At the side of the bottom there's signs of "screw thread" < correct me if my English is bad there please.

B: 3,4 cm diameter, 1,6 cm diameter middle hole. The two holes at the sides have a 0,3 cm diameter. Also screw thread on the side.

C: 2,5 cm diameter of the hole. The hole also has screw thread on the inside. Thickness of metal: 0,6 cm.

I really hope if someone can identify these parts for me, so I know if they belong together or not.

With kind regards,

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuse1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	683742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuse2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	683743  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuse4.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	683744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bomb (2).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	683740  

Name:	bomb.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	683741  

?

Looks more like artillery parts to me, rather than Bomb parts

The wall of the fragment is thicker than a bomb would be as well the Dia is Smaller

Just my thoughts.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Quote by CampX View Post
    Looks more like artillery parts to me, rather than Bomb parts

The wall of the fragment is thicker than a bomb would be as well the Dia is Smaller

Just my thoughts.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada
    The bombs I work with are much thicker cased than that and as Dean has said, much, much larger in diameter. It looks like a HE Artillery shell.

?

Part A looks like part of a Mills Grenade

Which part of the mills grenade are you thinking of? I thought maybe part B is a base plug of a mills grenade? I really don't know..

?

I think its part of the anvil that holds the cap and saftey fuse.

John

Part C looks to have a threat for a fuze and space for a fuze cavity. Definitely looks to be part of an artillery shell.

Harry

?

Name:	CT 001.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	684615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT 002.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	684616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT 003.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	684617

"A "looks like a few dug up bases of Center tubes I have from blown M-36 Mills, this is the bottom or anvil of the center tube.
    The Center tube screws into the bottom of the M 36 and contains the J fuse that sets of the Grenade.
    Photos show a mint center tube, you can see what it would have looked like before the Grenade blew

Just My Thoughts

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Thanks for the replies.

I think you could be right there CampX, it sure looks like that part! Could "B" be a baseplug? It looks like it to me, but I can't find an example that looks exactly the same.

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    Part C looks to have a threat for a fuze and space for a fuze cavity. Definitely looks to be part of an artillery shell.

Harry
    Could the diameter of the thread give me an indication to which artillery shell it belonged?

?

I don't think "B" is a base plug as when they blow out, it may damage the threads, but all I have ever seen come out complete, this looks more like something from the front of an Artillery round...but that's just a guess.

Dean O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast