Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bought today from a travelling salesman!

Article about: A travelling salesman knocked on the door today and offered me these. As he was nice enough to call on me, I bought them. First is a British 105mm dated 1969. Next, a 25 pounder dated 1955.

Default Bought today from a travelling salesman!

A travelling salesman knocked on the door today and offered me these. As he was nice enough to call on me, I bought them. First is a British 105mm dated 1969. Next, a 25 pounder dated 1955. Next one, I am not sure of ? Next two 6 pounders both dated 1943. Then a 1956 dated 2 pounder. Next, an emergency start cartridge dated 1955, 82mm diameter across the rim, any ideas any one?
    I hope you all like them.
    Regards, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bought today from a travelling salesman!   Bought today from a travelling salesman!  

Bought today from a travelling salesman!   Bought today from a travelling salesman!  

Bought today from a travelling salesman!   Bought today from a travelling salesman!  

Bought today from a travelling salesman!  

Default Re: Bought today from a travelling salesman!

The start cart is a Coffman start cart from a Avon Engine used on Canberra and Hunter Aircraft , it would start the engine from off to idal in about 5 to 10 seconds. There were 3 installed for each engine, I believe their use reduced the life of the engine significantly. The idea was to get the aircraft scrambled as quickly as possible in the event of an attack.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    The start cart is a Coffman start cart from a Avon Engine used on Canberra and Hunter Aircraft , it would start the engine from off to idal in about 5 to 10 seconds. There were 3 installed for each engine, I believe their use reduced the life of the engine significantly. The idea was to get the aircraft scrambled as quickly as possible in the event of an attack.
    Some very nice shell casings there mate-great stuff! Regards, Tim.

shadowolf, bloody hell...all i get is the Avon lady !

m3bobby, thanks for the info. At least this starter cartridge has lots of markings, I have another smaller one with only B&S stamped on it?
    Tim, cheers for the comments. The 6 pounder on the left of the two is your one. It will be with you on Sat.
    It looks like the 105mm, after a bit of research, is from a L7 M68 gun as used on the Centurian tanks. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this?
    Cheers, Simon.

oradour, last time the "Avon Lady" called He had with him two 120mm storage cases and 2 pairs of WW1 medals.
    My Travelling Salesman visits auctions round the UK and takes a gamble buying stuff that others may want. He knows that I like millitaria and buys stuff on the chance that I or one of his other contacts will like it. I never know when he is going to knock on the door, or what he will have with him. On the negative side, he doesn't always know what to get... thats why I have the 120mm storage cases outside in the shed. Not sure what to do with them yet? On the positive side, he travels to the auctions for me, which helps as I have no transport. It is a shame when he tells me about the German medals that he Nearly bought for me

Update:- I've had a little bit of time to research my unknown 75mm shell. This is what I have been able to find out:- Its a 75mm x 350mm shell. First, hopefull, thought was that it was a Sherman tank shell, but no. The identifying marks on the base are as follows, "75 DE C" which translates to 75mm calibre field gun, then "H.192L.15.USA", 192 is the batch number, and 15 the year, so 1915. This is odd as I have read that the first US shots fired at the Germans in WW1 by a 75mm were on October 23, 1917 ? Any suggestions ?
    Regards, Simon.