Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Brass "Trench Art" 1917 VIMY Grenade..well sort of

Article about: Here is an interesting piece of "Trench Art", I did not know what it was when I bought it, but as it had VIMY on it, and as I am a Canadian I had to buy it. The inscription states

?

Default Brass "Trench Art" 1917 VIMY Grenade..well sort of

Here is an interesting piece of "Trench Art", I did not know what it was when I bought it, but as it had VIMY on it, and as I am a Canadian I had to buy it.
    The inscription states "German Hand Liquid Gas Bomb Vimy Ridge 1917"

Well it turns out it is an early French Brass Grenade that now has a large wick though the fuse, so I am thinking it was made into some kind of lamp, the wick came out of the fuse and has unraveled so I have not put it back through.
    An interesting piece of "Trench Art", as the ingraving is somewhat crude, I cannot tell if this was done by a soldier or was part of the very large Cottage industry that sold this sort of item to those in France and Belgium..either way it is a rarer Grenade.

Dean O.Brass "Trench Art" 1917 VIMY Grenade..well sort ofBrass "Trench Art" 1917 VIMY Grenade..well sort ofBrass "Trench Art" 1917 VIMY Grenade..well sort ofBrass "Trench Art" 1917 VIMY Grenade..well sort of

?

Cool piece.
    Regards,
    John

nice and a rare one I think.

Very nice and a very unusual example of the genre.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.