Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British Mills No.36 Grenade

Article about: This was an item I had fanicied buying for some years and I was happy to obtain this nice clean example with good original finish. The remains of the painted markings of the red "X"

Default Re: British Mills No.36 Grenade

Quote by spotter View Post
    I have 4 mills types in my collection ,
    from left to right
    Israeli Mills practice grenade
    No5 in complete INERT relic condition
    No36 restored from relic parts
    No36 Cutaway made from relic parts
    Nice collection spotter. It looks like you have some more stuff you could show.

kompanie
    ?

A bit late but here's the mills i keep on my desk at work.I was given to my father by my grandad.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mills No.36 Grenade  

Wow...and 'they' don't lock you up over there and call you a terrorist or some lame brained thing? I guess you've seen the grenades with take a number at the complaint dept.? Nice one though.

kompanie
    ?

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Wow...and 'they' don't lock you up over there and call you a terrorist or some lame brained thing? I guess you've seen the grenades with take a number at the complaint dept.? Nice one though.
    I did think of putting a number on it.Nobody takes any notice here but i do bring in my deact weapons to show the guy that sits next to me,i get some funny looks then

Quote by kompanie View Post
    I did think of putting a number on it.Nobody takes any notice here but i do bring in my deact weapons to show the guy that sits next to me,i get some funny looks then
    I'd bet ya do get some looks. No problem getting them in your work without a 'hands up' by some guard or someone?

kompanie
    ?

No my security guard loves me brining them in it reminds him of the "good ole days".I get all my stuff sent here at work and he takes great pleasure in bring each package into the office carring it like its filled with nitroglycerine.

Sounds like a good place and people to work with.

Here are a few pics from the 1942 issue manual. It cover the No36 grenade plus all the others issued at that time.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mills No.36 Grenade   British Mills No.36 Grenade  

British Mills No.36 Grenade   British Mills No.36 Grenade  

?

And a public information sign that hangs in my workshop ...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mills No.36 Grenade  

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

I have a "No5 mk1 mills bomb" this was dug up at Vimmy Ridge in July 2003 under 12 feet of earth, in all 2 complete cases of grenades were recovered, all were still mostly packed in grease, i did have a mk2 grenade that was found in a pond by my uncle and subsequently given to me after being de activated and drilled by an armoury, but unfortunately that was "stolen" from me some years ago

the mk1 is extremely well preserved apart from slight outer pitting on the body and of course the lever is quite delicate, the ring and split pin are also original to this grenade, the internal tube has deteririorated badly and is mostly missing, as thankfully are any explosives!!! the base is stamped CAV 10/16 with a crows foot arrow and No5 mk1

It does get some funny looks when people see it in my cabinet next to a US .30 calibre round i found in the grounds of a Montbourg farm house that had been the "home" to German paratroopers in Normandy France on D-Day, also an unfired German Mauser bullet retrieved from Utah Beach, and a .50 calibre AA round found in southern England

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast