Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

is this British Shell Safe?

Article about: Hello, I purchased this 12mm HESH round at a car boot sale when I was eleven years old. I was told by another collector many years ago that the markings indicate it is filled with high explo

Default is this British Shell Safe?

Hello, I purchased this 12mm HESH round at a car boot sale when I was eleven years old. I was told by another collector many years ago that the markings indicate it is filled with high explosive substitute, and is therefore inert. However, I would like to have this confirmed for obvious reasons. Clearly I would not purchase this now, as an adult, without knowing it was safe. Can anyone reassure me its OK?

Many thanks, Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture is this British Shell Safe?   is this British Shell Safe?  

is this British Shell Safe?  

Default Re: is this British Shell Safe?

Yes....HE SUB as per stencilling. This is a Proof round for the 120 mm BAT gun..

Thanks very much. What is a proof round exactly?

Hi Douglas.I dont know how much safe is but i can tell you that i like it !!

Hi..Proof rounds are used to test some part or function of the gun. Yours looks like it says Proof of Prop which would mean it was used for testing the propelling charge....for want of a better word...the gunpowder in the shell case. It would not have been gunpowder really, you understand, but some form of cordite or nitro-cellulose propellant. To test the propellant they needed to fire the gun...hence your projectile. Nice projectile....

Nice shell Doug...............Jake.

Thanks for the replies.