Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The Business End Of A MKII Grenade

Article about: VERY interesting, thanks mucho for posting!

Default Re: The Business End Of A MKII Grenade

VERY interesting, thanks mucho for posting!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have had a look through my favorite dealers list and I cannot find one listed anywhere. But you should be able to find one at any of the bigger UK shows. I see them often enough. I would only advise buying one from within the UK.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks for the help, I'll just have to keep an eye out! When I first started looking for grenades, I actually saw a few of them online but at the time I couldn't afford one. The Russian F1 grenades seemed to be the harder to find ones I was after, but since then I managed to buy two modern examples in mint condition, both reasonably priced! But the MK2s are nowhere to be seen.

?

I would recomended doing plenty of research before buying, again there are a large number of genuine WWII Frags offered for sale that are made up from ether spare parts and practice models, or even post war bodies with earlier fuse types fitted.

Nige.

Quote by axenige View Post
    I would recomended doing plenty of research before buying, again there are a large number of genuine WWII Frags offered for sale that are made up from ether spare parts and practice models, or even post war bodies with earlier fuse types fitted.

Nige.
    Thanks for the advice- I do my best to try and read up on this kind of thing. I usually refer to some of the useful online guides, and now I've discovered this site, I can ask the community here!
    I've seen so many sites trying to sell the 'RFX' training grenades as genuine WW2 frags... That really irritates me!

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    I've seen so many sites trying to sell the 'RFX' training grenades as genuine WW2 frags... That really irritates me!
    Once you know what an ORIGINAL frag body looks like..it is very easy to tell from the cheap RFX out there. You still need to watch out for the repainted WWII frag bodys..just post pics and we should be able to help.
    I have Inert frags for sale but dont think your customs guys would let in. I have mailed fuzes and spoon's to the UK but not the whole thing.

Quote by Dirt Detective View Post
    Once you know what an ORIGINAL frag body looks like..it is very easy to tell from the cheap RFX out there. You still need to watch out for the repainted WWII frag bodys..just post pics and we should be able to help.
    I have Inert frags for sale but dont think your customs guys would let in. I have mailed fuzes and spoon's to the UK but not the whole thing.
    Yeah, I can easily tell them apart now. My only problem is determining which fuse assemblies match certain grenades, so I have to check photo guides for that. I've had a training grenade sent from the USA before, but I wouldn't want to risk it with anything else! They just seem pretty scarce on European sites at the moment (as far as I can find) and I've only ever been to 2 small militaria fairs so far. But I keep on the lookout for 'em, I guess it's just about luck; as I said, at one point there were various all at once on just one auction site, but I typically couldn't afford anything at the time!

Someone in the UK a while back on Ebay, had a bunch of original frag bodys, I think they were all repaints BUT he was also selling 1000's of fake fuzes and spoons. They looked okay but just not good enough. I should do a post on how to tell the fake fuzes and spoons from a real.

That would be greatly appreciated if you have the time!

?

These fragments remind me of a time that i was in the Army Cadet Force. One of our instructors worked at the Explosives Research and Development Establishment .ERDE for short. His job was to test explosives.He took us there once and led us into a huge pyramid shaped bunker that had a thick steel and wood roof with a three to four foot open gap at the top.We watched as he rigged up a Mills 36 grenade to an electrical detonator and we then retired to a safe distance of about 500yds .I was the lucky one to push the button . There was an almighty bang and the ground actually shook. As we stood there a large chunk of outer casing landed about 10 to 12 feet away. It was amazing to see that this piece of smouldering metal could have travelled so far and could still have killed someone at that distance .So dont believe everything you read or see in films about the killing radius of grenades .It aint true.

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Thanks for the advice- I do my best to try and read up on this kind of thing. I usually refer to some of the useful online guides, and now I've discovered this site, I can ask the community here!

Even most of the "RFX" training grenades are copies, found with short levers
    -as used on M69's. ( If you find one with a rather large, smooth hole in the bottom,
    it is probably an authentic practice body, but should be painted blue. )

Look for a grenade with a MK10 series fuse - with a long lever, and preferably a small screw plug or a plain base.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast