Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Business End Of A MKII Grenade

Article about: VERY interesting, thanks mucho for posting!

Default The Business End Of A MKII Grenade

Hey Guys, Hope you don't mind me posting this. After I found this truck body where they were practicing throwing MKII grenades and seeing how easy the frag parts went through the thick steel of the body. I thought I would do a post of the frag pieces from a MKII.
    I weighed a body then I weighed some shrapnel, these parts can differ in size.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Business End Of A MKII Grenade   The Business End Of A MKII Grenade  

The Business End Of A MKII Grenade   The Business End Of A MKII Grenade  

The Business End Of A MKII Grenade  

?

Default Re: The Business End Of A MKII Grenade

Very interesting, as they say, close only counts in horse shoes and grenade throwing.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Johnnie
    ?

The fragmentation pieces are interesting. I have read that the serations on the "Pineaple" didn't matter as the steel shredded in different patterns, but this seems to indicate that they followed the seration paterns. Thanks for posting.

Johnnie

Thanks for a very interesting thread. The truck cab looks like it would date from the 1920's?

I too was interested to see how the grenade fragmented. This makes perfect sence, given the metal will be weaker along the lines which form the serations, but some people with whom I have spoken at shows have disputed this. Nice to see the pic

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for posting this, it's interesting! Like Johnnie said, I'd read that the serrationshad no effect on the actual fragmentation pattern, but obviously that's not true. I always thought that an explosion would seek the path of least resistance anyhow, in this case being the indentation. They definitely cut up the truck!

By the way, would anyone please be able to point me to any place online I might be able to buy an MK2 frag? I've not seen any on the auction site I usually visit in a long time. I've started a grenade collection but have had no luck with one of these!

It made a right mess of the truck,not a place for a game of hid 'n' seek. Never seen what a pineapple grenade could do at close quarters. Thanks for showing. Stewy S

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    By the way, would anyone please be able to point me to any place online I might be able to buy an MK2 frag? I've not seen any on the auction site I usually visit in a long time. I've started a grenade collection but have had no luck with one of these!
    I have had a look through my favorite dealers list and I cannot find one listed anywhere. But you should be able to find one at any of the bigger UK shows. I see them often enough. I would only advise buying one from within the UK.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the intrest guys. Yes..99% of the time the body will seperate at the serations. Some 3 section pieces, some two and lots of one section pieces. The fuze and bottom always stayed in one piece.

The attatched pics show typical of the bigger chunks we have found at work,quite a few of the big pieces we found were similar to the central piece with the base and a row of segments still attatched
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Business End Of A MKII Grenade   The Business End Of A MKII Grenade  

Quote by spotter View Post
    The attatched pics show typical of the bigger chunks we have found at work,quite a few of the big pieces we found were similar to the central piece with the base and a row of segments still attatched

Nice pics, they almost look like they could be MKI's from the roundness of the squares. I read somewhere that was a problem with the MKI's and the MKII's were an improvement on that, they broke up into smaller pieces even though a 3 piece MKII frag is very common.
    Every once in a while a MKII would have a low order detonation and only break in half. Below are a couple sections as found.
    Also I hope its okay to post this ( if not please remove) but check this cool site on US Frags. lots of great pics.
    American Mk.II Hand Grenade - Inert-Ord.Net
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Business End Of A MKII Grenade  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast