MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify these please

Article about: Hi all, Can anyone help identify these 2 please. The larger case is made of alloy, the smaller heavier one brass. Thanks in advance, Simon.

Default Can anyone identify these please

Hi all,
    Can anyone help identify these 2 please. The larger case is made of alloy, the smaller heavier one brass.
    Thanks in advance, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone identify these please   Can anyone identify these please  

Can anyone identify these please  

Default Re: Can anyone identify these please

If it helps identify these, they came from a company that had dealings with, among others, "DERA", The Defence Evaluation and Research Agency in the UK.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Any thoughts on what they could be, anyone want a sensible guess, please?
    Thanks, Simon.

I'm not sure as to what they are but the alloy one(Ithink thats the one) looks like it has a the end of a rifle cartridge as primer to fire it

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    I'm not sure as to what they are but the alloy one(Ithink thats the one) looks like it has a the end of a rifle cartridge as primer to fire it
    Your right, it looks like .44 Remington magnum pistol cartridge case.

I'm guessing there one offs (Or at least non mass production) for somthing like signaling or possibly EOD purposes. Definatly experimental due to lack of markings.

Yes they could well be experimental, as the company that I got them from bought a load of scrap metal from DERA.
    Thanks, Simon.

The large cartridge is for the ARWEN riot ammunition ,theres a lot of different types shown on line if you search arwen ar-1 also a UK one here INERT .ARWEN AR-1 37mm Baton Round - Detailed item view - DWSUK Online Store

The other item looks very much like the igniter for artilery charges when they are using caseless charges the attatched image shows the one in my collection
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone identify these please  

ian
    ?

spotter is right
    it is called a ventube and it is used to fire the bag charge on the chieftain and challenger tank gun they come in a round brown tin that is radio supressing ,and they are loaded into a magazine that fits into a semi automatic loader ,and they are firred electricly by a firing neadle , the progectile and the bag charge are loaded manualy cheers ian
    i think the 4 Xs mean not for combat use ???? but im not sure
    Last edited by ian; 07-03-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Spotter you "the man" Cheers

Ian thanks for your help.

Regards to all, Simon.